Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't know whether to use flange or fold?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
396 Views, 6 Replies

Don't know whether to use flange or fold?

Hello all, first post. So I have been making a box out of sheetmetal. And I am wondering what the best way to do something is. So, I want to have some holes on the back of the box, and some holes on the top. I have the back done, but the top is where I am stuck. So, should I converted the back into a face and then add a flange onto the top, click that and go create sketch and model my holes, then cut the pieces out with the cut tool? Or should I converted the back into a face and then create a new sketch, click on the face, add a construction line, then fold it? Or is there an easier way of doing this? Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
BarryZA
in reply to: Anonymous

hello and welcome. I am not sure what you are asking.

It is always preferable to attach your model to your post - and remember to roll up the EOP first to reduce file size.

Or at least some screenshots.

Generally in sheet metal it is better to model up in the bent up position first with flange and contour flange etc, rather than modeling up flat and then bending afterwards. So rather use face and flange and then flat pattern at the end.

I would only use fold in exceptional circumstances when all the other options won't work.

Message 3 of 7
Cadmanto

Welcome to the forum.

It would really be helpful if you would post some images showing what you are describing.

First guess is if you have a plane down the middle of the box, just project from there.

What version are you running?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadmanto

Hello, sorry for being so vague.

I am using Inventor 2013.

So in the image below, I have my sketch. This will be the back of my box. On the top of the box, I want to have a hole. Now I think I can do it two ways.

In the picture below, I use a flange and then create a new sketch on that flange, add my hole, then cut it out using the cut tool.

Or I can right click on my 3d model and add a new sketch to that, then add a construction line and fold it like that (not correct size for the top in picture, but just to show what I mean).

Message 5 of 7
JDMather

Do not use Fold (unless there is no other way).

From what you have shown so far - a Contoured Flange would have created those two faces with just two simple lines.

Keep your sketches simple.

Chamfers can be added as features.

Only need sketch centerpoints for hole features.

If you are not sure how to finish it all up using sheetmetal tools - use the standard modeling tools to model in finished form and someone will demonstrate how to do the same model with sheet metal tools.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 7
Cadmanto

After looking at your images (and thank you for providing them.  Makes diagnosis much easier) I would definately go with a a flange.  Then use extruded cuts to create your cutouts, but it looks like you are already well on your way.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thanks for the reply, and thanks for the info. I thought that was the easiest way, but wasn't sure. Now I can move along with my project.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report