Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOF rant

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
gcooperepd
434 Views, 11 Replies

DOF rant

I really wish this worked!!!!!!

This would be an awesome tool if I could trust it and you could actually decypher the glyphics!!!!

What part is this baby attached to???

I've been asking to get this fixed since 5.3.

GCooper

IVcapon11SP1 (the slightly imasculated little brother to PRO routing and analysis ;>))
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
KristinaVogt5
in reply to: gcooperepd

I agree the visual symbols are often useless.

You probably already know this, but just in case....

You can is the "find" function to list all under constrained parts. I use this a lot more than the visual DOF
Message 3 of 12
gcooperepd

Please explain this work flow. I do not use this. Can you do a screen grab of what this entails?

Thanks
Message 4 of 12
KristinaVogt5

Click the Edit pull down menu and select "Find" (or hit Ctrl+F).

This brings up a dialog box. To find under constrained parts
Property: Number of DOFs
Condition: is greater than
Value: 0

See screen shot.

Add line to list. Hit "Find Now." All under constrained parts will highlight in the assembly.

You can save the search for future uses.

There are many other useful searches this can do. I have also used this to find out how many files a co-worker had checked out. He had a habit (among many others) of checking out a file and then manually deleting the workspace file without checking it in. It was a nightmare to clean up the files after he left.
Message 5 of 12
gcooperepd

Thanks, that looks like a very handy tool.

How long has this functionality been around? I seem to have overlooked it.

GCooper
Message 6 of 12
KristinaVogt5

It has been around for a while. I don't see it mentioned here very often. I don't know if the gurus know a better tip, or if most people only work in assemblies they created themselves.

I think it is a great tool for fixing assemblies that were assembled by a moron!
Message 7 of 12
gcooperepd

I get a lot of that moron fixing. Seems to be a herd of hacks running about mucking things up. A fake dimension hear, a hacked parts list field there,... And then there's the Vault, what a beutiful place for a hack/moron to interact with data... We need tools to protect us from people like these (the M16 was probably originally designed for this job, but I'd settle for a color change on hacked dimensions, like the blue fields in the parts list, not sure what to do with the modeling, vault, and assembly problems, may have to revert to using the M16 ;>)... What did that comedian say??? "Where's your sign, stupid?"

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to give it a try. Looks like a powerful tool...

GCooper
Message 8 of 12
boilerchip

If you look around the office and don't know who the moron is....you ARE the moron...
Message 9 of 12
gcooperepd

Sometimes there is more than one moron... Just because you can see him doesn't me you aren't one too...
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Another method that I sometimes use, to check for under-constrained parts,
is to Unground the main part in the assembly, then drag that part and see
what gets left behind.

Mike

wrote in message news:5303047@discussion.autodesk.com...
Sometimes there is more than one moron... Just because you can see him
doesn't me you aren't one too...
Message 11 of 12
will_hebden

Do you know of a way, using the find option, to find all DOF's except for parts able to revolve about an axis eg bolts, nuts etc.

Regards

Will
Message 12 of 12
AndyWallace
in reply to: will_hebden

Assemble, Productivity, Degrees of Freedom Analysis, click "animate freedom" and go down the list of fasteners is the best way as it stands. I definitely miss the Solidworks way of having a (-) in the tree for instant view of unconstrained parts - but I am happy to have found this thread which shows the Find option ...it's a way there.

Andy

Andy Wallace
Autodesk Inventor (2016) (3 years)
previously Solidworks (6 years)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report