Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does inventor open or import Solidworks files

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
sinsremoved
68296 Views, 9 Replies

Does inventor open or import Solidworks files

Does Inventor open or allow me to import Solid Works files?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
88nwilson
in reply to: sinsremoved

Theoretically, yes. I've only imported .step, .sat, and .iges formats, personally. It usually does a good job.

Inventor 2013
Win 7 Pro SP1 (x64)
Message 3 of 10
cwiklolo
in reply to: 88nwilson

What are the most common scenarios where Inventor doesn't open SolidWorks files?

Is there a specific list of SolidWorks file types that aren't accessible in Inventor?

My teammates and I are working on a design project and I want to know if I can continue working with Inventor or if I need to switch over to SolidWorks. 

I'd prefer to keep working with Inventor, but I need my Inventor drawings to be able to connect/ mate with my friends SolidWorks drawings, have some basic editing capabilites, and possibly show dimensions.  If I can do that in Inventor, and export to a .dwg or .idw file that would be great.

Do you know if I'd hit any road blocks?

Thank you for your helpful insight. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 10
swalton
in reply to: cwiklolo

We run Inventor, Solidworks and Creo, as required by our clients.  We do not try to move designs from one program to another, so my experience with this is low.  I think it might be ok for a one-time conversion, but I would hate to move parts/assemblies back and forth between as the design matures.

Inventor will usually import Solidworks parts and assemblies in the release that was active at the time of the Invnetor release.

For example, IV 2014 will import files as follows from the help file at:  http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-7CF00AFC-D40C-4FFC-B781-338AE2476527

Import SolidWorks files

Open and change models created in SolidWorks (versions 2003 - 2012). Autodesk Inventor translates assembly and part files, solids, multi-solids, surfaces, and more. After the import operation is complete, you have a base feature or features which match the geometry and topology of the original file. Use Autodesk Inventor commands to adjust the base features and add new features to the feature tree.

These types of SolidWorks files can be imported:

• *.prt, *.sldprt (part)
  • *.asm, *.sldasm (assembly)

As I understand it, your model tree for an imported Solidworks file will look exactly like an imported .stp or .igs file.  There won't be a feature history tree for the part files and there won't be any constraints between components in the assemblies. You will have to assign proper materials to your components to get accurate masses. 

I am not sure that there will be any way to re-import changes in a file from one system to another without manual steps and re-work.

Solidworks drawings will not be imported.  I expect that you will have to use .dwg/.dxf files to exchange drawings.  I don't know if you will be able to keep any link to the source 3d models if you try to exchange data in the dwg/dxf format.

I think you should talk your teammates into using Inventor.  Smiley Wink

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 5 of 10
sbauman67
in reply to: swalton

No it does not directly open from a solidworks file, such as .sldprts, .sldasm, a part or assembly solidworks native file format.

However using Inventor 2015 one can export a solidworks model to a STEP file, STEP seems to work better than IGES or Parasolids, and open it directly using Inventor or import it.

Message 6 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: sbauman67

@sbauman67 wrote:

No it does not directly open from a solidworks file, such as .sldprts, .sldasm, a part or assembly solidworks native file format.

Wrong answer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
JamesLovell
in reply to: sinsremoved

With Inventor 2016:-

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2016/ENU/?guid=GUID-219418B0-4483-415E-8E85-DA8517BD7BD9

Regards,

James Lovell
Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz,QUADRO RTX 4000, 1TB CORSAIR MP600 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe
Product Design & Manufacturing Collection
Message 8 of 10

I Tried using inventor 2016 for open from solidwork 2013 its can`t, appeared error message.

May any suggestion in here?

Best Regards,

Yudika

Message 9 of 10

It should do....

Have a read of this: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/problem-with-opening-solidworks-2016-files-in-inventor/...

Regards,

James Lovell
Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz,QUADRO RTX 4000, 1TB CORSAIR MP600 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe
Product Design & Manufacturing Collection
Message 10 of 10

Dear James Lovell,

Sorry My Part net is use solidwork 2015 and i use Autodesk Inventor 2016  (Standard).

Problem is I cant open my partner model that built in solidwork 2015.

I had follow insturction as in in help menu but its work.

difference is in refference and convent model is inactive(is import limited only on proffesional only)

Best regards,

Yudika

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report