Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Inventor 2012 not import STP files?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Barry1Lau
399 Views, 2 Replies

Does Inventor 2012 not import STP files?

I am trying to import a ProE created STP or STEP file of a solid model into 2012.  STP does not seem to be an option under format types.  AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 seems to import the file just fine and it looks and act like a solid.  I saved the file out in dwg format.  When I try to import the dwg file into Inventor or just open it, a "styles conflict" dialog box comes up even though the dwg file being imported and the ipt file being used are the standard versions that come with the programs.  If I click OK an idw file opens displaying a blank sheet.  Then Inventor acts like it is done with the task.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
karthur1
in reply to: Barry1Lau

Inventor should import the STEP format just fine.  In the Open dialog, choose the drop-down beside the "Files of Type".  Select either "All Files", or "STEP Files" 

Kirk

2013-11-25_1550.png

Message 3 of 3
CESAR200
in reply to: Barry1Lau

Inventor 2012 and AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 support the same STEP application protocols (AP214 and AP203E2).

As Kirk said, Inventor should be able to import the file directly.  Please go to the 'ribbon > Tools > Add-Ins' and click on the 'Translators' tab.  Ensure the add-in "Translator: STEP" is listed there.

Cesar Valencia
Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report