Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Design Accelerator generate real gear teeth yet?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
teamtestbot
1453 Views, 1 Reply

Does Design Accelerator generate real gear teeth yet?

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if Autodesk has started including true involute spur gear tooth generation in their Design Accelerator yet. I remember some years ago (maybe Inventor 09 or 2010) being bitten by the fact that the DA gear solids have arc approximations for the teeth, and haven't used gear DA since.

I usually put the solid gear model into a drawing file for laser cutting, waterjetting, or other 2D machining processes, and the arc approximation teeth do not make for functional gears. I've been using my own spur gear template file, but now I'm wonder in Inventor 2012 if the DA can generate proper gear teeth yet so I can stop doing so. 

There seem to be no threads on this issue more recent than 2010, and most of those seem to be filled with suggestions for outside plug-ins or scripts, which are not desirable. If Autodesk can't include a functional spur gear generator in their designer, then of what use is the gear design accelerator at all?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
whunter
in reply to: teamtestbot

Yes, it does, although not directly in the modelling environment, you have to export the tooth profile and then create a new tooth and gear that way. See this page for more info: http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2012/Help/0073-Autodesk73/0460-Assembli460/0551-Componen55...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report