Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Autodesk do MobileWorkstaion Graphics Card Certification

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
AnthonyPaul2010
1303 Views, 10 Replies

Does Autodesk do MobileWorkstaion Graphics Card Certification

I am in the middle of dealing with HP for a replacement of the machine specified in my signature.

The machine has been a dog since pulling it out of the box and most of the blue screen codes have been graphics card related but it doesn't matter how much I try and explain to HP that I think the problem might be that the graphics card is not certified by Autodesk they insist on replacing with the AMD M5950 card which doesn't appear to be on Autodesk's list of certified cards.

What I have noticed is that Autodesk doesnt seem to have any mobile workstation's graphics cards certified at all. These are usually the ones with and "M' before or after the model number. Does anybody know if Autodesk does testing on mobile workstations?

This is what HP is offering as a replacement:

8760w with a AMD FirePro M5950 with 1 GB dedicated GDDR5 video memory

Operating systemGenuine Windows® 7 Professional 64
ProcessorsIntel® Core™ i7-2620M (2.70 GHz, 4 MB L3 cache)
Processor technologyIntel® Core™ i7 with vPro technology
ChipsetMobile Intel® QM67 Express

Has anybody got one of these and is using it with IV2012?

Anthony Paul (from Cairns, North Queensland, Australia)

Product Design Suite
Inventor Premium 2012 - SP1 Installed
HP 8760w I7-740M Laptop
Windows 7 Professional 64
12 Gb DDR SDRAM
AMD FirePro M5950 Graphics Card
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Hi Paul,

We don't recommend a particular hardware configuration. However you could look at the below documentation for some additional information on what is needed for optimal performance of Inventor.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2012/Help/0073-Autodesk73/0460-Assembli460/Work_with_Large...

Hope it helps.

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 3 of 11

HP is notorious for having old bios versions on their machines that many times do not support the hardware properly.. Have you tried or have they suggested a bios flash? (use caution when doing so)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 11

I'm not sure if that has been done but will certainly look into it.

In my OP I was asking if Autodesk does certification on the 'M' type graphics cards in mobile workstations as it appears from their website that they dont.

Vinod didn't answer the question however I'm still very interested to know if they do.

Product Design Suite
HP 8760w I7-740M Laptop
12 Gb DDR SDRAM
Message 5 of 11

Thanks Antony. I do know that i wasn't explicit with my answer.Smiley Happy Because we don't officially acknowldege a hardware until tested by our QA on all platforms.

Was just curious, I took this from our graphic card certification site. Is this what you are after,

Untitled.png

Looking forward to your reply.

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 6 of 11

Yes that is it Vinod. Why doesn't Autodesk test with mobile? Maybe they do and I've missed it.

Looking forward to your response.

Product Design Suite
HP 8760w I7-740M Laptop
12 Gb DDR SDRAM
Message 7 of 11

The mobile in the above screenshot refers to cards belonging to mobile workstations. I am just wondering is there any specific card that you want to see on this list.

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 8 of 11

Yes it certainly looks that way but when I click the find button it get the message shown on the attached sreen snipe.

Do you get this also?

Product Design Suite
HP 8760w I7-740M Laptop
12 Gb DDR SDRAM
Message 9 of 11

Thanks Anthony. I got the problem now. It looks like if you select both product and the corresponding design suite, the result comes out as none. You just need to select inventor and leave the suites field empty to get the right results.

Here are the results for mobile graphic cards certified for Inventor.

2011-12-07_101700.jpg

I will report this UI difficulty to the corresponding person. Thanks for letting us know.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 10 of 11

No problems at all I'm glad we got to the bottom of it becuase I did the search for Nvidia and sure enough the card (2800M) that is in my HP now is not listed but the new laptop will have a certified AMD M5950 card so hopefully it works.

Thanks Vinod.

Product Design Suite
HP 8760w I7-740M Laptop
12 Gb DDR SDRAM
Message 11 of 11
SBix26
in reply to: AnthonyPaul2010

If you search for Inventor 2011 instead of 2012, your 2800M is listed (I have to go back to Inventor 2009 to find my 2700M).  It appears that certification is done on currently available hardware, not on the older hardware that many of us have.

You also have the option of a Quadro 3000M with the 8760w.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report