Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to migrate Custom Inventor Material Library from 2013 to 2014

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
jweiss1313
1001 Views, 5 Replies

Do I need to migrate Custom Inventor Material Library from 2013 to 2014

I created a custom Inventor Material Library using Inventor 2013.  I want to use that library in Inventor 2014.  I renamed the "out of the box" Inventor 2014 Material Library and copied the Inventor 2013 Custom Inventor Material library to the shared network location we use for our Inventor styles library.  I am able to to see our custom Inventor material library in Inventor 2014.  DO I NEED TO MIGRATE IT FOR INVENTOR 2014.

What is the proper procedure when you upgrade Inventor and you have a custom Inventor material library?  Do you just copy the custom library to the design data folder and start to use it, or do you use the 'out of the box" Inventor Material Library and copy the custom materials to the that library every year.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks!

John C Weiss Jr.
CAD Manager
Follett LLC.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

John,

There is no need to migrate an .adsklib file from 2013 to 2014. You can simply copy it in to the desired location & ensure it's referenced from your project settings. Note that once you've written new data to an adsklib file from 2014, you might experience issue if you try to use the exact same file with 2013, though, so ensure you keep your versions separate, if required.

In general, I'd suggest leaving the Inventor library in it's as-shipped form & adding your own custom materials/appearances to your own custom library, as opposed to making changes to the Inventor library.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the information Chris!

John C Weiss Jr.
CAD Manager
Follett LLC.
Message 4 of 6
iamerm
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

Forgive me, but I am basically going to ask the exact same question just to verify for 2015:

I created an .adsklib file in 2014.  It contains a few custom materials.  We used it in conjunction with the "out of the box" material library that came with Inventor 2014.

We just upgraded to Inventor 2015.  We will continue to use the standard material library, but we also want to use the custom materials created in 2014.  Is there any need to migrate the custom .adsklib from 2014 to 2015?

Message 5 of 6
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: iamerm

No need for migration to use that adsklib file with 2015. Note that once you write to it using 2015, I don't believe you'll be able to use it anymore with 2014.

Thanks
Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 6
iamerm
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

Thanks, Chris!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report