Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do .dwg files not prompt for save at close?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
jyager
976 Views, 13 Replies

Do .dwg files not prompt for save at close?

Yes, I should be clicking save.

Sometimes however I'll have several sketches open and I'll be making a quick change, for instance a few sketches only needing dates changed...or maybe adding a dimension or a weld. I may print it...be done and click close only to go back to tweak something else and have to redo those minor changes.

Years of autocad has me used to clicking drawings closed without having to worry about my changes not being saved. Is there some reason why this isn't a function?

Jason Yager
Inventor Professional 2023.2
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 3200 Series
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Pro
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
cbenner
in reply to: jyager

Message 3 of 14
jyager
in reply to: cbenner

Sorry, let me clarify.

I open a file, change something minor only to the .dwg file...a weld, add a dimension...add or change a note. No model changes, strictly .dwg.

Someone else comes into my cubicle and I rapidly need to switch gears...not thinking (because regular autocad does this even if you pan around in the drawing and try to close it), I close the drawing I just changed to open something else (usually there's multiple drawings open and I'm doing a balancing act).

Two hours later a project engineer comes back down deciding maybe we need another note on that original file, I open it and the previous change is not there because when I closed it in a rush it didn't prompt me for a save and I lost what I did.

Jason Yager
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
32GB RAM
Message 4 of 14
JDMather

I could not reproduce this in 2013 or 2014.

I saved file.

Made a change (add text note).

Try to close the file without saving and I am prompted to save.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 14
jyager
in reply to: JDMather

Interesting. This happens to me all the time, thanks for looking into it though.

Jason Yager
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
32GB RAM
Message 6 of 14
rdyson

Check these, don't know that's the problem but might be.

Image2.pngImage1.png

PDSU 2016
Message 7 of 14
jyager
in reply to: rdyson

Both of my prompts are "always" with response "no", not sure on the functionality of that?

Does that mean doing those actions will always provide the prompt? What difference would having yes or no as the response be? Would yes just automatically save it?

Jason Yager
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
32GB RAM
Message 8 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! If the drawing file is indeed altered (dirtied) and the Save is not prompted on close, it is a bug. If you have reproducible steps, please let me know asap.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 14
jyager
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I just did it again this morning.

Have a .dwg, with 2 views already on it of an assembly with two plates.

Created two new views of view reps of just the singluar plates to detail out. Dimensioned them...printed and walekd away. Came back to my desk, went to open something else and clicked the x to close.

Realized what i did and opened the file to find that the two new view rep views were indeed not saved, nor was there any prompt before closing.

Jason Yager
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
32GB RAM
Message 10 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! The behavior is concerning but I still need more infromation in order to understand why it happens. Could you uncehck the following option and see if you still encounter the behavior?

Tools -> Application Options -> Drawing -> uncheck "Enable background updates" at the bottom -> OK.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 14
bob_holland

Jason,

If you log into this computer as a different user does it still happen?

Thank you.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 12 of 14
jyager
in reply to: bob_holland

I now have a completely new install on a new computer. Files stored locally instead of the network. I am still having this issue.

I Just opened a previously saved .dwg file that had it's model updated recently with a few parts added in. A couple of the parts on the parts list were out of order numerically (compared with the BOM) so I deleted the parts list and inserted a new one...easy fix. Updated all sheets and went to save.

I clicked save and nothing happened. Clicked save again...nothing. Grabbed a single item balloon and moved it a fraction of an inch on the drawing clicked save again and it started saving.

It seems like it does not want to acknowledge parts list or title block changes as drawing changes worth saving. Several time in the past couple days I've opened an older sketch just to update the date and reprint with a current date. Closed the file and had to make a quick change a few minutes later after engineer review and found that the date/TB changes were not saved.

Jason Yager
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
32GB RAM
Message 13 of 14
jyager

This morning I actually added a detail view and annotated it...then someone came in and i had to switch gears and I hit the X. I immediately knew I screwed up (well not really...everything else on earth prompts for a save) and re-opened the drawing to see the detail view not there.

So basically it seems like theres a whole variety of different things I can do that do no warrant a save at close.

Jason Yager
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
32GB RAM
Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

This behavior is also occuring on my PC, Acad 2014.

Has a resolution been found?

Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report