Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distorted Text with Export to PDF

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
Dlctb
6603 Views, 29 Replies

Distorted Text with Export to PDF

When exporting drawings to PDFs, one computer distorts all text as shown here: 

Laptop text.PNG

When exporting the exact same file to PDF from any other computer, the text appears correctly as shown here:

Laptop text.PNG

All computers are running Inventor 2014.  What could cause these results?  Can the text settings be customized? 

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
blair
in reply to: Dlctb

Looks like possibly the font is missing from the computer and Windows is going with the closest match. You may need to check if the font is on the computer that is giving the problem.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 30
Dlctb

The text appears correctly on the drawing pre-export, and the same fonts work fine in other locations (such as Microsoft Word).  I've also found that the characters are crammed too closely together in the same way regardless of which font is used (Arial, Times New Roman, and Tahoma).

If it is a font issue, how could I resolve it?  Any other thoughts? 

Thank you.

Message 4 of 30
Paul-Mason

Are you using adobe acrobat? If so the problem could be here

Adob Set font.png

These are the Adobe Acrobat Pro setting that I have for creating PDFs from exported files of all types

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 5 of 30
Dlctb
in reply to: Paul-Mason

We do have some Acrobat .DLLs that are used for other functionality, but for this case it is only using the built-in Autodesk export to PDF feature.  The results are the same regardless of which application is used to view the exported file.

Message 6 of 30
Paul-Mason

Just came across this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930627 

You have a 32-bit application that is running on one of the following Microsoft Windows operating systems:

• A 64-bit version of Microsoft Windows Server 2003
  • A 64-bit version of Windows Vista
  • A 64-bit version of Windows XP

The application uses the ResetDC function to modify the DEVMODE data structure. When you use raw mode to print a document in the application, the private data of the DEVMODE data structure may be corrupted.

Could this possibly be the problem that your seeing on that machine

Here is the download link http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16358 if you don't want to read all the tech bumf

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
=================
Message 7 of 30
Roelof.Feijen

I have seen this happening on 3 Windows 7 workstations with Inventor 2012. Can you confirm that if you export your drawing to DWF you see the same distortred text? It think this is the source of the problem. If you export to PDF Inventor first exports to DWF and wraps this into a PDF. From my option this is a Windows problem. It has nothing to do with fonts or re-installing the software, Adobe Reader, etc. We have tried several things and never found a solution for this problem. Sorry I am not able to help you.
Roelof Feijen

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!
Message 8 of 30

There is a way to solve this. It's more like a workaround. Change the Stretch setting of your Text style to 100% and the problem is "solved".

Text Style Stretch setting.PNG

Roelof Feijen

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!
Message 9 of 30
Dlctb
in reply to: Roelof.Feijen

@Paul-Mason wrote:

Just came across this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930627 

Could this possibly be the problem that your seeing on that machine

The problem computer is running Windows 7, so it doesn't look like this partiular resolution is applicable.

rfeijen wrote: Can you confirm that if you export your drawing to DWF you see the same distortred text?
Yes, I can confirm that exporting to DWF results in the same distorted text.

@rfeijen wrote:

There is a way to solve this. It's more like a workaround. Change the Stretch setting of your Text style to 100% and the problem is "solved".

In our case, this is an automated process involving thousands of drawings and PDFs that are shared by several computers.  Changing the text style would break the text for the computers that are already working correctly.  I'm going to continue to look for a more permanent solution.
Message 10 of 30
Paul-Mason

Your running Windows 7 OK but is it 64BIT as the problem your decreeing, IF you read the blog for this MS Hotfix, is very similar to what your seeing. IF you are running windows 7 64 bit have you checked to see if the hotfix mentioned is installed correctly??

And there was a update released yesterday, at least that's when it popped on my machine, Adobe Acrobat XI.

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
=================
Message 11 of 30
Roelof.Feijen
in reply to: Paul-Mason

The hotfix cannot be installed on Windows 7.

I am not sure what Adobe Acrobat XI has to do with this issue.

During an Export to PDF, Inventor first performs an export to DWF and then wraps it into a PDF.

The main problem here is the Export to DXF.

Roelof Feijen

Message 12 of 30
blair

I'm running Acrobat XI pro and am current on all hot-fixes. No problems installing them or with doing the Export to PDF within Inventor 2014pro. Just did a 3-page export yesterday morning without any issues or problems. Not getting any export to DXF prior to the PDF. If you are on Adobe CC you might try un-installing Acrobat, run Inventor and try the Export to PDF, see if the problem persists and then install Acrobat XI pro. Are you seeing any other irregularities in Inventor?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 13 of 30

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The main problem here is the Export to DWF, not DXF 🙂
Roelof Feijen

Message 14 of 30
blair

This is what I see: https://chronicle.autodesk.com/main/details/8ea3c330-fb64-4aaf-8e3b-0c47b90d1e35

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 15 of 30
Dlctb
in reply to: blair

I installed Inventor 2014 on around 20 additional computers this week.  All are running Windows 7, have the same software, and are fully updated.  I have still only encountered one computer that has this DWF/PDF issue.  It is not clear what makes this one computer different from all the others that are working perfectly.

Message 16 of 30
Roelof.Feijen

Hello Blair,

This is what I see: https://chronicle.autodesk.com/Main/Details/f8488e6f-e8fc-4960-a90b-6538852eeb28

Export to DWF = Text is distorted. Export to PDF = Text is distorted. Print to DWF printer driver = Text is NOT distorted.

I know two other companies dealing with the same problem. It happens on a workstation were Inventor is used to process automated jobs coming from Autodesk Vault Professional when drawings are released. That is why we can't use any third party PDF creators.

We performed a clean install of Inventor with the latest service packs and updates, installed PDF Creator, Office 2010, all available Windows Updates, Design Review 2013 instead of 2012, Adobe Reader 9, 10 and 11. It doesn't make any changes. I think we have to consider rebuilding the workstation from scratch, starting with Windows 7.

Roelof Feijen

Message 17 of 30
blair

Possibly try replacing the Windows - Font directory from another machine before rebuilding the machine from scratch.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 18 of 30
Maxim-CADman77

We sffer alike issue when "Inventor 2014 SP1 Upd2" treats "DWF.Create.IDW" jobs on Windows 2008 R2 SP1 64bit servers - text become a bit wider.

Text seems unchanged whed the same job is done with same Inventor version being running with Windows 7 64bit.

Any workaround suggestions?

Message 19 of 30
scottmoyse

Are you by any chance accessing this PC via Remote Desktop when the others aren't? I've seen this issue when generating any dwf related files (As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, PDF's are created from DWF's).

But a second thing to check is this (press the Windows Key on your keyboard and type Display, then Enter):

display settings.jpg

So users will set this to Medium or Larger. It could explain why you are only seeing it on a single PC. I've seen all kinds of weird UI behaviour on PC's where this has been modified. Changing it back to 100% solves it immediately.

Note: If this is the case, it's a bug within Inventor, it should support all default Windows Display modes.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 20 of 30
Dlctb
in reply to: scottmoyse

In our case the distorted text is a problem regardless of whether or not the computer is accessed remotely, and the display setting is set to 100%.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report