Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distorted Text with Export to PDF

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
Dlctb
6663 Views, 29 Replies

Distorted Text with Export to PDF

When exporting drawings to PDFs, one computer distorts all text as shown here: 

Laptop text.PNG

When exporting the exact same file to PDF from any other computer, the text appears correctly as shown here:

Laptop text.PNG

All computers are running Inventor 2014.  What could cause these results?  Can the text settings be customized? 

29 REPLIES 29
Message 21 of 30
scottmoyse
in reply to: Dlctb

Is there anything abnormal within these settings? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-nz/windows/change-windows-fonts#1TC=windows-7

Do all the PC's use the same Windows theme?

If you log onto that PC with a different user account does the same thing happen?

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 22 of 30
Maxim-CADman77
in reply to: scottmoyse

OK. In our case "wrong" resolution of RDP was the reason.

Find more here - http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Distorted-Text-with-Export-to-DWF-on-Server-2008-R2-S...

Added 10 minutes later (forum seems to have removed my message and is not allowing me to re-post it there).

Message 23 of 30

Here are the message

So, well, RDP is definitely to blame.

To be more precise resolution used for RDP is to blame.

Resolution in RDP shortcut I used to use was set to 1280x1024 and it occured to be the only resolution that lead to text WIDEN on DWF-creation.

I've tried all the rуst resolutions and got interesting results.

Text in IDW exported to DWF seems CONDENSED if RDP resolution is one of: 

1280x720

1280x768

1280x800

1366x768

1440x900

1680x1050

1920x1080

Text in IDW exported to DWF seems more-or-less like original if RDP resolution is one of: 

640x480

800x600

1024x768

1440x1050

As temporery workaround I've saved 1440x1050 to my RDP-shortcuts but I'd rather prefer the issue be solved by Autodesk (I'm not sure I'will remember to choose issue-free resolution if connection be done from some PC I'm haven't used earlier).

Message 24 of 30

Thanks. RDP sesssion with a resolution of 1280x1024 solved my problem.

Roelof Feijen

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!
Message 25 of 30

This is pretty strange.

As i wrote before - for me RDP resolution of 1280x1024 definetely makes phrase written in IDW with font "GOST Common" a bit longer (about 110% of original length).

Anyway me personally take playing with RDP resolutions only as temporery workaround.

I'd like Autodesk pay thorough attention to this (localized) issue and finally fix it.

Message 26 of 30

Original from idw:

1.PNG

Export to PDF:
2.PNG

Export to PDF through custom pdf-job:

3.PNG

I've tried different resolutions, but it hasn't changed the font from stretching.

Anything from Autodesk on this issue?

-Alex

Message 28 of 30

Thank you very much, but can't say I'm satisfied with their answer on this issue.
Message 29 of 30

I have been having issues with distorted text and hatches on my machine running AutoCAD 2015. For more than a year I never had any issue. 

I think I figured out something that can help but I don't understand how things got messed up in the first place.

Anyways... I am using the AutoCAD's  DWG to PDF print driver so your process may be different.

What I did:
1. In the print dialog box, click (printer) properties.
2. Click the custom properties button (located under device and document settings >> Custom Properties)
3. In the DWG to PDF properties box... set Font Handling to "Capture none" (THis fixes the distored fonts)
4. Set all the DPI settings to the highest available (the higher dpi settings make the hatching less crappy)

-----------

Brief aside: This is a HUGE bug or problem that I think Autodesk needs to look into. I've never ever used any document publishing software that exhibited this strange behavior. PDF's are super important because when you outsource print jobs, PDF's make sure that your document is not going to change. 

Also: I know this is in the inventor discussion, but the issue I'm having the same issue in autocad.

Message 30 of 30
blair
in reply to: pob.drafting

Sounds odd, I would try a different font.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report