Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display truncated 'appearance' name in 'Parts List'

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
erazorzedge
526 Views, 5 Replies

Display truncated 'appearance' name in 'Parts List'

Hello. Is it possible to display a truncated 'appearance' name in a "Parts List"? Either by limiting the number of characters or by showing all characters before or after a modifier? Also, is it possible to create a custom iProperty that will act as a drop-down menu (I'm thinking of it being used in a B.O.M.) with preset options to choose from? Thanks, Eddie.

Product Design Suite 2017 x64
Windows 10 (Build 1511) Professional x64
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Cadmanto
in reply to: erazorzedge

Eddie,

When you say truncated appearance name are you talking about the description of a part?

There are not any settings within the partlist editor that I know of that do what you are asking it to do.

Only method I can think of would be to setup an iproperty that displays the way you want it seen and then have that property display in the partlist.

Anything you get out of the content center is what it is unless you publish your own with this created property.

Other then that, you might be able to do it through iLogic.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 6
erazorzedge
in reply to: Cadmanto

No, not the description of a part. I want to be able to select a Material and then select an Appearance for a part and have those show up in a Parts List, however, I only want a portion of the Appearance name to show. Not the entirety of the Appearance name.

When using Excel, I know that I can place a piece of code in a cell that will take the data from a Tab Name or a File Name and parse it so that only a portion of the input is displayed in the output.

For example: MID(CELL("filename",$A$1),FIND("[",CELL("filename",$A$1))+1,FIND(" - Bill",CELL("filename",$A$1))-FIND("[",CELL("filename",$A$1))-1).

The file name for our Bill Of Materials is formatted like this: "JOB NUMBER - Bill Of Materials". In the above example, the code would take the file name of the worksheet and parse it to find " - Bill". It would then display only what came before the " - Bill".

I was hoping someone knew how to do the same thing or knows how to make an iProperty that would act like a drop-down menu with selectable items.

Thank you.

Message 4 of 6
mcgyvr

I'm sure an ilogic rule could be created to do the following

get the appearance of the part...

truncate it to a certain length...

save it to a custom iproperty...

You could trigger that rule to run in parts with the before or after save triggers.

Then you can just display that iproperty in your parts list..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 6
erazorzedge
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thank you both, I'll have to look more into iLogic and all of its functions and parameters.

Before I start this journey... does anyone happen to have a simliar iLogic code?

Message 6 of 6
erazorzedge

I worked on the code today and was surprised at how easy it is. The hardest part is figuring out which functions need to be used and in what order. And of course in the actual testing phase of the code, I determined that I would need an 'if,then,else' argument to properly what I intended.

This is the code I worked out, if anyone is interested:

Dim SearchString As String = iProperties.PartColor
Dim SearchCharacter As String = " - "
Dim TempHyphenLocation As Integer = InStr(1, SearchString, SearchCharacter, CompareMethod.Text)
If TempHyphenLocation = "0" Then
iProperties.Value("Custom", "PL_Material")=(iProperties.Material & " " & iProperties.PartColor)
Else
Dim HyphenLocation As Integer = TempHyphenLocation - 1
Dim Appearance As String = (Left(iProperties.PartColor,HyphenLocation))
iProperties.Value("Custom", "PL_Material")=(iProperties.Material & " " & Appearance)
End If

Does anyone know if this code will work with iParts or Content Center parts?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report