Active Contributor
38 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 1 of 3
Accepted Solution

Display Area for a Drawing Section in a Drawing Text Box

191 Views, 2 Replies
10-17-2011 11:48 AM

How do I calculate the area for a section of an extruded profile and display it in a drawing note?  I see how to add a field <AREA> in the text dialog box, but it comes up as N/A in my text box in the drawing.  This is also the case for <MASS> and <VOLUME>.  How do I get the drawing fields associated with the physical properties of the model?

Thanks,

Kevin

You are correct.  I was able to get the field properties to display by going to the model and calculating the physical properties. 

The area is the surface area which I do not want.

I figured out to get what I really want which is lbs/foot of a profile.  I created a sketch on the extrusion and created a reference dimension and renamed it "Length".  I then created a user parameter named LBperFT.  Then I created an iLogic rule and defined LBperFT = iProperties.mass / Length.  In the drawing note I displayed the user parameter LBperFT.

This seems to work.  Is there a better way to do this?  This will not be accurate if I have other features added to my extrusion such as holes and cuts.

*Expert Elite*
1,345 Posts
111 Kudos
Post 2 of 3

Re: Display Area for a Drawing Section in a Drawing Text Box

10-17-2011 11:53 AM in reply to: kegle

update the mass props of the object. 

I'll bet that the area prop is the surface area of the object, not a cross-sectional area. 

Inventor 2014
Vault Professional 2014
Active Contributor
38 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 3 of 3

Re: Display Area for a Drawing Section in a Drawing Text Box

10-17-2011 12:48 PM in reply to: swalton

You are correct.  I was able to get the field properties to display by going to the model and calculating the physical properties. 

The area is the surface area which I do not want.

I figured out to get what I really want which is lbs/foot of a profile.  I created a sketch on the extrusion and created a reference dimension and renamed it "Length".  I then created a user parameter named LBperFT.  Then I created an iLogic rule and defined LBperFT = iProperties.mass / Length.  In the drawing note I displayed the user parameter LBperFT.

This seems to work.  Is there a better way to do this?  This will not be accurate if I have other features added to my extrusion such as holes and cuts.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the future of the Autodesk Community? To participate in this brief usability study, please click here. Your time and input is greatly appreciated!