Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappearing menus in Inv 2012

30 REPLIES 30
Message 1 of 31
mlevko
1364 Views, 30 Replies

Disappearing menus in Inv 2012

In Inv 2012 Pro, downloaded for evaluation until I get the purchased copy, suddenly the menus don't show when I click RMB (Right Mouse Button). I have to exit and reopen the Inventor and sometimes even to reboot. I do noticed that when I click the RMB the cursor do change and get some shadow. Than, if I move the cursor to a location where I know that there is the option I want, this option is activated!. Meaning that for some reason, the menu is simply not displayed! The computer is a DELL workstation with Quadro FX 1800 card with latest driver. OS is XP 32 bit.

Any ideas?

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
mcgyvr
in reply to: mlevko

update graphics card drivers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 31
mlevko
in reply to: mcgyvr

As I wrote, I have the latest driver, from 2 days ago.

Message 4 of 31
mcgyvr

@mlevko wrote:

As I wrote, I have the latest driver, from 2 days ago.

Sorry..Didn't see that.

Yet another user with a quadro card having display issues. hmmmm

Have you tried different settings in tools.application options..hardware tab

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 31
mlevko

I will do it on Sunday.

Message 6 of 31
shastu

I had the exact same situation as you.  I have a NVIDIA Quadro 550.  I checked the Software Graphics Option, and then had to do a check disk and defrag on my hard drive.  When I went back to Inventor the problem went away.  I even unchecked the Software Graphics Option and the problem did not come back.  So I am not sure if the check disk and defrag had anything to do with it or not.  Problem is, now my select other menu doesn't work.  Play around with the different settings on the Hardware tab of the Inventor options.  I am really anxious to hear what you find out and if you get it resolved.

Message 7 of 31
mlevko

When the problem happens also the select other don't work for me. I will make more checks on Sunday. The Marking menu in Inv 2012 is graphically very fancy. Maybe this has something to do with the problem. I will try the Compatibility mode in the Hardware options.

Message 8 of 31
shastu

Yes it does have to do with the marking menus.  If you go back to the regular right mouse click menu the problem goes away.  (Not the Select Other problem, but the RMC menu problem.)  To shut off the Marking Menus click on the Customize button of the Options tab and check mark the box that reads "Use Classic Context Menu" towards the bottom right hand corner of the dialog box.

Message 9 of 31
mlevko

Today I installed the purchased version of the Inv 2012, ultimate design suite.

• The Marking menu is now not visible with any option of the "Hardware" settings. When clicking RMB, the cursor do change indicating that something is happening but nothing is displayed.
  • The standard menus, Marking menu disabled, are working OK.
  • The "select other" is not working either.

In that aspect the final version is worse than the downloaded version. The computer is Z400 DELL workstation with FX 1800 Quadro video card. I installed the latest driver. Any ideas?

Michael

Message 10 of 31
johnsonshiue

Hi! Could yo check the following setting and see if it is on?

Go to View tab -> User Interface -> there should an item "Marking Menu" and it should be checked by default.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 31
mlevko

Hello Johnson,

It was on and I disabled it to have the "old" menus workable. I worked with the downloaded trial version until I got the purchased package (very nice disk on key). In the trial version the Marking menu worked at least for few minutes and then "retired". Now it is not working at all. The "Select other" snap point doesn't work at all and it is very disturbing when measuring distances. In the trial version the "Select other" also worked for sometime.

The computer is Z400 DELL workstation, 4 gb memory, XP Pro 32 OS and Quadro FX 1800 video card with 750 Mb memory. The driver is the latest driver 270.71 from NVidia.

The Inventor 2009 Pro is installed on the same computer.

Today the Inv 2012 freezed several times and I had to close it using Task Manager.

My office email is mlevko@iai.co.il and my cellular is +972-52-612-6900 if you need more info.

Regards,

Michael

Message 12 of 31
johnsonshiue

Michael,

The behavior you are describing does not sound right but it is the first time I heard about it. Could you try something for me real quick and see if it can resolve the issue?

Go to Tools tab -> Application Options -> Hardware -> choose Compatibility mode and check Software graphics option -> Apply -> OK. Then restart Inventor.

After that, does it help?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 31
mlevko

I will check it tomorrow in the office and let you know.

Michael

Message 14 of 31
shastu

I have heard from support that the select other not showing up has been reported to development and they are working on a fix. They say that it seems to most commonly occur after using the Create in Place command in an Assembly. I have not found that to be the case for me.  As soon as I open Inventor, if I try to use the measure tool using the select other command, it doesn't work, even before I have used the Create in Place command.  Can anyone else verify this?

Message 15 of 31
mlevko

Smiley Mad

After I installed the purchased version, the Marking menu AND "Select other" DON'T WORK AT ALL!! As I explained before, the Marking menus are simply HIDDEN there and if go with the cursor to the place some option is there, as I remember, and click this option is activated. The Marking menu should be called "Memory Training" menu.

Message 16 of 31
shastu

Just thought everyone would like to know that I have fixed the marking menu right click problem twice now by doing a Check Disk on my hard drive with the “Automatically fix file system errors” and “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors” both checked. It does not however, fix the select other problem.  I had the marking menus back, but still no "select other" menu so I did a re-install and after I did that both did not work again.  So since the check disk of my hard drive seemed to have fixed it the first time, even though I did it for a different reason, I decided to try it again and it fixed it again.  I just wish I could figure out something for the "select other" menu now.

Message 17 of 31
Henrik_Lo
in reply to: shastu

IH

i also have this problem with disappearing menu, i found out I my case, than it was controlled by my resolution, when I change to a low resolution all menus came back. I hope Autodesk will solve this problem soon.

Regards

Henrik

Message 18 of 31
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: Henrik_Lo

Again, I'd suspect graphics. I have 8 installs so far of 2012 on both Win7 and xp64 systems. No problems with marking menus or select other.

@Henrik_Lo wrote:

IH

i also have this problem with disappearing menu, i found out I my case, than it was controlled by my resolution, when I change to a low resolution all menus came back. I hope Autodesk will solve this problem soon.

Regards

Henrik

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 19 of 31
daltec2

Mine is checked but still the same problem.

Message 20 of 31
mlevko

Today I checked on my office computer and you are right. When I changed the resolution from 1920x1200 to 1600x1000 (same ratio) both menus started to work!! Well done. I hope that Autodesk will fix it soon.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report