Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappearing Dialog Boxes in Inventor 11

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
gklee
996 Views, 22 Replies

Disappearing Dialog Boxes in Inventor 11

I have a brand new Dell M90 Workstation (1 week old) with Nvidia Quadro Fx2500M Video Card (Certified). Both the context menus and dialog boxes are diappearing off the screen at different times - they are still there because when the mouse is moved across the area parts of the boxes reappear. Dell has replaced the video card, hard drive and motherboard and still the same problem. Can anyone offer a solution?
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: gklee

I have the same machine, purchased last September, I would check if you have
N-View enabled, this is know to cause problems with IV with the 8*.** OEM
drivers.

--
Dell 670 dual Xeon - 3.2
3gb memory, SCSI320-15k
XP-Pro, sp2
FX3400: Driver: 91.36
IV2008

wrote in message news:5568302@discussion.autodesk.com...
I have a brand new Dell M90 Workstation (1 week old) with Nvidia Quadro
Fx2500M Video Card (Certified). Both the context menus and dialog boxes are
diappearing off the screen at different times - they are still there because
when the mouse is moved across the area parts of the boxes reappear. Dell
has replaced the video card, hard drive and motherboard and still the same
problem. Can anyone offer a solution?
Message 3 of 23
gklee

Thanks for your reply Blair,

I have checked nview and it is disabled. I have just unloaded and reloaded the video drivers again to see if that helps. It seems stable at the moment - won't hold my breath though as I have done this before
Message 4 of 23
gklee

Hi Blair,

Unfortunately the problem is still there after reloading the drivers
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous

I'm assuming that the video drivers are the drivers that were shipped with
the machine/card. Download and install a new inventor certified driver.
Most everyone with Quadro cards is now using the 9136 version.

--
Dennis Jeffrey, AICE, MICE
260-312-6188
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr.
AIP 11SP2, AIP 2008
HP Pavillion Zv5000 (Modified)
Geforce Go 440, Driver: .8185, 2GB RAM
XP Pro SP2, Windows Classic Theme
http://www.design-excellence.com
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous

You would need to "Mod" the 91.36 driver, as it requires a OEM driver for
the M90. Link to "Mod'ed" drivers will allow you to install current non-OEM
version drivers.

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9243

--
Dell Precision 690
Dual Quad Core E5320 @ 1.86GHz
4Gb Ram, Serial SCSI 146Gb - 15k
Quadro FX3500 256Mb - 91.36
XP Pro Sp2 - AIP 2008
"Dennis Jeffrey" wrote in message
news:5568617@discussion.autodesk.com...
I'm assuming that the video drivers are the drivers that were shipped with
the machine/card. Download and install a new inventor certified driver.
Most everyone with Quadro cards is now using the 9136 version.

--
260-312-6188
AIP 11SP2, AIP 2008
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous

Blair,

Are you running this moded driver (or the default OEM?) Any issues if you
are?

--
Sean Dotson, PE
RND Automation & Engineering
www.RNDautomation.com
www.mcadforums.com
Message 8 of 23
gklee

I tried loading the drivers that you suggested with the modified inf file but alas still the same problem. I have reverted to the lastest oem drivers that came with the laptop
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous

Did you uninstall the previous driver using the uninstall program from the
NVIDIA website? If not then you probably had remnants of a different driver
on your system.

--
260-312-6188
AIP 11SP2, AIP 2008
Message 10 of 23
joshcathey

This isn't a video card issue. I have the same problem with an ATI Radeon x1300 256MB video card.

Don't hold your breath for any help. Autodesk will give you the runaround and have you trying a bunch of useless fixes to your machine when the problem is in Inventor itself.

There are a couple of other threads on this issue already. So far Autodesk is simply blaming video cards & drivers. Apparently their IT department either doesn't care to try and replicate and troubleshoot the issue, or they're just not competent.

Good luck.
Message 11 of 23
Anonymous

So, if it's a bug, how come most of us do not see this problem?

The ATI card is not a card to be basing your opinion on.

Try running Windows classic theme, or setting your system for best
performance. Then if the problem persists, dumb down your settings and
Tools > Application Options> Hardware to the Microsoft generic OpenGL
settings, or the direct 3-D setting.

--
260-312-6188
AIP 11SP2, AIP 2008
Message 12 of 23
joshcathey

"So, if it's a bug, how come most of us do not see this problem?"

So if "most of us" don't see this problem, then it's not Autodesk's issue, eh? Sorry bud, I used to work for Creative's tech support. I know enough to know that just because "most" people don't have the problem, it doesn't mean the problem is with the user. Autodesk should be trying to replicate the issue in-house instead of throwing out the same canned "video-card-issue-runaround" script.

"The ATI card is not a card to be basing your opinion on."

It's certified. But that's irrelevant b/c most of the people with this issue have nVidia cards anyway (ding ding ding - not a card issue).

"Try running Windows classic theme, or setting your system for best performance. Then if the problem persists, dumb down your settings and Tools > Application Options> Hardware to the Microsoft generic OpenGL settings, or the direct 3-D setting."

That's the same canned response that we offered at Creative about a decade ago when we hadn't figured out the issue yet. But since you mentioned it - been there, done that. And others have tried it as well. Like I said - this isn't the first thread on the issue.

Anyone have any NEW suggestions? The problem persists in Inventor 2008, btw.
Message 13 of 23
joshcathey

Here's another thread on the same issue - just so we're not repeating ourselves:

http://discussion.autodesk.com/adskcsp/thread.jspa?messageID=5512768
Message 14 of 23
joshcathey

This is a shot in the dark, but is anyone else with this issue using a microsoft wireless mouse (or any microsoft mouse for that matter - one that uses IntelliPoint)?
Message 15 of 23
gklee

I checked the Nvidia Site and couldn't find uninstall utility. However I followed the instruction on the site using the windows add and remove programs. After loading the suggested drivers the problem still persisted. However, I switched Inventor to openGL and it seems to be behaving itself - at the moment.

Thanks for all the help.
Message 16 of 23
signmeup
in reply to: Anonymous

Does anybody still have this problem? I've changed computers (Z400), video cards (Quadro 600), operating systems (XP32 to XP64) and IV versions (now 2012) and I can't get rid of this problem.

Inventor open file.png

Product Design Suite 2017, HP Z800 Xeon X5680 @ 3.33GHz x2, CPU x24, 96Gb, Nvidia Quadro 5000
Message 17 of 23
SBix26
in reply to: signmeup

It appears to be a graphics problem, but it's hard to imagine how this problem could carry over to all new hardware.  Your graphics card isn't anything to brag about (Nvidia's comparison chart has it in the entry level section), but it shouldn't be doing this.  Have you updated the driver (first uninstalling the old one)?

There have been the odd reports of mouse drivers causing graphics trouble-- are you using the default Windows mouse driver, or something proprietary?

Message 18 of 23
signmeup
in reply to: SBix26

I installed the latest driver then went back to the latest Autodesk recommended one due to regular bsods. Now the OS is stable but still having the other problems. Have contacted Nvidia but they blame the software. Only happens when Inventor is open but it "infects" other programs with odd graphics glitches like bits of one window showing in a different application. I have tried complete uninstalls of drivers with no success.

I have a Logitech wireless mouse now. Used to have a Microsoft wireless mouse. I have a SpaceExplorer. Again this has been upgraded since the problem started years ago.

Product Design Suite 2017, HP Z800 Xeon X5680 @ 3.33GHz x2, CPU x24, 96Gb, Nvidia Quadro 5000
Message 19 of 23
SBix26
in reply to: signmeup

Weird.  I also have a Logitech wireless device (trackball) and a SpaceExplorer, no graphics issues at all.  I'm using the default Microsoft mouse drivers and the latest graphic driver available for my device, and I'm driving a big screen (30") with it at the moment.

It's going to be hard to track down, I expect, since most Inventor users aren't having this problem.  Do you have colleagues running the same setup?

Message 20 of 23
signmeup
in reply to: SBix26

I have colleagues running the same workstation, maybe different peripherals. The only common factor here is me. I used to be able to suppress the problem by running a screen recording app (just letting it sit in the background doing nothing) called CamStudio but that stopped working after an Inventor release a few years back and I don't have it installed on my new workstation.

I've always used PDFCreator. Could that be the problem?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report