Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable the error message boxes

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
brendeho
8663 Views, 18 Replies

Disable the error message boxes

Why isn't there a way to disable these messages? Or is there a way?

I cannot be bothered to fix the trivialities of my assembly, and each time I update anything, that's one more click. I don't care about the cross part associations, as the parts exist as they need to.

Messages such as:

Cross Part Association has failed

This is the reason why my departments at work are considering Solidworks - Inventor is simply clunky - and it doesn't matter if the assembly has errors because of the modeling "mistakes" I make in this regard - I just need to supress these messages and get the work done. Very annoying.

afterthought - I know how to break links and clear associativity - but I just need a way to supress the error message. This would be very ideal, as it takes a while to go and break links and clear adaptivity. Often times, these errors crop up as engineering makes change orders to the part and it just crops up after revisions.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
ampster401
in reply to: brendeho

I do find it annoying to always have to click the button to acknowledge the error, especially when I am in the process of fixing it and it takes mutilple feature fixes to take care of the problem.

I would never consider just ignoring those msg's and release the models/idw's, etc., not sure if that is what you are implying.  The "what if's" that could happen afterwards...I wouldn't want to be the person who picks up the project later on down the road and trys to figure out the mess.

I've always practiced fixing errors when they happen, regardless how complex a model might be or any time constraints put on me.

I can't imagine that SW has some sort of "ignore these type of msg's" option either, maybe so (bad idea if it does though IMHO)

It's not good to ignore those idiot lights on your car telling you something is wrong for example, you should do something about it rather than continuing on down the road - depending on the issue of course. 

Message 3 of 19
stevec781

Its the same in idw when you have dimensions that need fixing.  The error message pops up after every fix - a real pain.

And even when in Asm you turn defer updates on it still gives error messages even though its not meant to be updating.

Message 4 of 19
mttb
in reply to: stevec781

Is there still no solution to disable this ultimate annoying message? It's ok to see the red cross that indicates something is wrong but why must I click on that stupid popup every time. Please IV programmers, fix this (and several other annoying things we come across every day).

Message 5 of 19
ampster401
in reply to: mttb

@mttb wrote:

Please IV programmers, fix this (and several other annoying things we come across every day).

Lucky to get an Autodesk employee to respond to msg's here (wasn't created for that purpose anyway) let alone I really doubt the programmers read the forums.

Message 6 of 19
Python99

Go to Application Options, Prompts tab and a check box at the bottom under design doctor says "do not show messages for pre-existing problems". Check this and the never ending nagging box will disappear. Hope this helps.

Message 7 of 19
misterkoenig
in reply to: Python99

Oh man. Thanks! That just saved me a ton of frustration. My issue was mostly with me correcting mates when I change out parts. I tried using the doctor, but it was clunky and didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. This way it just leaves me be to make the corrections.
Message 8 of 19
jsmanrique

I just wanna say Thanks! awesome
Message 9 of 19
ToddPig

Why isn't this the default setting?

Inventor 2018
(23+ years of Solidworks, 5+ years of fighting Inventor)
Autodesk Vault Pro 2018
iParts = iHeadache
Message 10 of 19
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: ToddPig

@ToddPig wrote:

Why isn't this the default setting?

Because 50% wouldn't want it that way and 50% of the people would.  You can't please everybody..  Smiley Very Happy

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 11 of 19
ToddPig
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

I doubt it's even close to 50/50. I can't imagine that 50% of Inventor uses would prefer all the extra clicking.

If it is truly 50/50 and 50% of the time, it results in a bunch of annoying messages. Why not fix the messages? This would potentially make 50% of the users more efficient?

It seems to be the same theme over and over again on this forum.

There is a request to make something better, and then there is either....

an explanation as to why it is not an option,

or the more frequent .....

a suggested way to make it less annoying.

The users see the potential of what Inventor could be.  Inventor does what it can to make users less frustrated.  It seems like a win-win if Inventor would try to make the product stable, and the users happy.  

Inventor 2018
Autodesk Vault Pro 2018
iParts = iHeadache
Message 12 of 19
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: ToddPig

@ToddPig

The 50/50 remark was really meant as a joke..  Smiley Very Happy

No matter what is set as the default or how something works in Inventor or some other piece of software..  You are not going to please everybody..  Just because you want something your way doesn't mean I or others want it that way as well.  There's 2 sides to it...

Yes we can come here and discuss it but instead of complaining and being frustrated about it, have you ever joined the Inventor Beta Team?  Have you created ideas out on the Inventor Idea Forums?  If you have that's great..  If not I strongly suggest that you do and perhaps in a future release of Inventor you'll get your wish...  Smiley Wink

As a side topic, although some may feel like the Inventor Development team is not listening to their end users, in the end they are..  Over the past 3 to 4 years I've gotten to know this team and they are very opened minded and they want to provide a product that suits their end customers.  However they do not have the ability to support every request.  Like I said use the Inventor Beta Team and/or Inventor Ideas to make the product better..  Smiley Happy

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 13 of 19

Hi Todd,

Many thanks to Mark's kind words! We are doing our best. For this particular issue, if I recalled correctly, we did make it default when we introduced the option quite a few years ago. However, it did generate negative feedback from some Inventor users asking why the default had been changed. The negative feedback was strong enough so we reverted the change. The sticking point was that by suppressing the errors, some users, particularly new users were unaware of  the errors leading to more downstream issues.

Certainly, there is room for improvement here. The entire error messaging system should be more adaptive and more intelligent, providing more meaningful assistance. We are aware of the general requirements. If you have specific requirements, please feel free to submit them to Ideas forum or Inventor Beta program (https://bit.ly/InventorBeta). Your feedback is always welcome!

Thanks again!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 14 of 19
JRENTERIACSABR
in reply to: ampster401

Right but when you have to match the model too the Pointcloud for asbuilts that can be difficult. I have problems matching the conduit runs too the model because it will not allow me too model slanted conduit runs at times or make connections. It will give me a warning so I cancel the warning. I have too work around to connect at times and sometimes split conduit runs so that i can match pointcloud(very frustrating) or disable OS(OSNAP).  When I cancel the warning the conduit goes back to original place.

What you don't understand Autodesk is that the Industry has diminished the process of using BIM some companies use it just for prefabrication, but don’t coordinate with other trades. Some people generate a model, but don’t turn it over to the end user or even their field crews for installation. My #1 biggest problem is that BIM is sold to owners, A/E firms, and GC/CM groups as a time and money saver, but the "old school" process of construction does not change to suit the BIM process, so its looked at as merely an additional burden of the project, rather than the tool it was built and sold to be. Since they don't understand the process and what it takes to do things correctly, they don't understand why it takes time. Especially, when it has been touted as a time saver. They don't understand that it may take a little time on the fore front, but once the field work begins, that is where the time is saved.

Message 15 of 19

I think there may be a problem. It does not matter if the box is checked or unchecked that frustrating box pops up. 

Message 16 of 19

Hi! Please share an example exhibiting the behavior here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com). I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 17 of 19

Unfortunately I deleted all the constraints, machining operations, sketches and weldments just so I would  not be stopped by that ---- warning box every time I touched the assembly. Its the only way I could replace components. Now I have too much extra to do today to make up for all that had to be deleted to recreate the problem. I will try next week.

Message 18 of 19
ToddPig

5000+ views? Hint Hint Autodesk!!!
Inventor 2018
Autodesk Vault Pro 2018
iParts = iHeadache
Message 19 of 19
aronmatheus

Hi, guys! How disable messagebox.Show when you put ok or cancel. This is a rule.

For example, I would like to put ok and after this warning stay disable.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report