Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dirty Positional Representations

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
douthett
395 Views, 3 Replies

Dirty Positional Representations

I'm curious to see if anyone else is experiencing this problem.

The company I'm working recently started to have trouble with our positional reps. In one case a user opens up an assembly they just retrieved from the Vault, they click Yes to the 'Changes have been made to some assembly...' window and then suddenly not only is the top level assembly dirty but the subassembly which has an positional reps is dirty.

If the user says No to the 'Changes have been made to some assembly...' window then top level assembly and the subassembly are fine.

When we open the subassembly by itself it's fine and does not required saving.

The users can either force the save on the subassembly local or they can check out a perfectly good assembly and save it. (They have to do this each time they retrieve the subassembly from the Vault)
So I'm trying to see if anyone else has this problem or it's something going on with our network
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
johnsonshiue
in reply to: douthett

There are many ways the "Changes have been made to some assembly..." dialog can come up when opening a top level assembly. Typically, it is because a component (part or subassembly) has been changed due to prior edit and save. As a result, the top level assembly needs to be recomputed.
If you are sure that no prior edit occurred in any of the components, then we could have an issue here. If you can provide an example showing this behavior, it will help address the issue.
Thanks!

johnson.shiue@autodesk.com

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 4
juhop

I also have problems with positional representations.
The main assembly contains 2 pieces of subassy X. One with positional representation A and one with B.
Everytime I open the main assembly the update button is active. I can update 1000 times and the update button stays "active".
When I open the subassembly there is no need to update. I can change between representation A and B and no new version is created. After I have activated both A and B representations and closed the subassy ( no need to save ) the update button in the main assembly is still active. I push it once and it switches off.
Then I save and close the main assembly ( no new version of subassembly ).

But when I open the main assembly again update button is on. It is a never ending story.

Another case:
In assembly that has subassemblys with positional representations ie. cylinders in different axle to axle lenghts I change level of detail from master to simple ( from 10 000 parts to 3000 parts ) no problem. But back from simple to master major explosion happens. 100 constraints turns on red.
Again subassemblys with positional reps work fine when opened separetly. This didn't happen with Inventor 2009.
I fixed that by changing cylinder master position axle to axle lenght to fit to the main assembly so there is no more need to use pos.reps for that. But when I need the same cylinder in different lenghts in the future I'm in trouble.
Message 4 of 4
juhop

Any updates on the positional representation issue?

I'm still updating every time I open an assembly like above with Inv 2011.

With Vault professional we are in deep trouble cause we cannot release our finished items. Well we can but I need to change the state back to work in progress immediately so I could use those assemblys  as subassemblys in bigger lay-outs...

I get check in errors if I don't update.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report