Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct X 11, IV2011 Eye Candy Question

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jeanchile
514 Views, 2 Replies

Direct X 11, IV2011 Eye Candy Question

I have a stupid question about Direct X 11, Video Cards, and the new 2011 visual tools with IV. We are discussing having a couple of the computers at the office rebuilt. While doing so I wanted to upgrade the video cards to something that would take advantage of the new IV eye candy. One of my employees said that most of the video cards now come with Direct X 11, not 10 (for the record, he's not an IT guy, just an employee who kinda' knows about computers).

Does Direct X 11 work with the new visual tools or do we need to look for a card that is strictly DX10 compatible?

P.S. As I have stated many times before, I know nothing about all of this business. I was just trying to do some research before I spoke to the IT people.

Inventor Professional
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Martin_Goodland
in reply to: jeanchile

The Autodesk hardware site shows the requirements.

http://www.inventor-certified.com/graphics/graphics_hw_guidelines.php

I previously used a GeForce 8800GTX with 2011 but it only supported DirectX 10 (not 10.1 which Inventor needs for all the bells and whistles in 2011). It worked well enough but struggled when using the realistic option.

I have now built a new PC which uses a GeForce 580GTX (DirectX 11) and the performance is much better when using the realistic option.

As has been stated on this forum quite often, if you don't run any other applications that need to use OpenGL graphics then for the best DirectX performance I would look at high end gaming cards, we have been using them in our PC's for years now with no issues.

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023
Message 3 of 3
mcgyvr
in reply to: jeanchile

I've been having excellent results with the graphics card in my signature file and 2011. I can run full "quality" mode with no problems at all.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report