Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimentioning holes on barrels

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
350 Views, 10 Replies

Dimentioning holes on barrels

I have created holes and extrusions on workplanes tangent to the outside of a 55 gal drum. When it comes time to make a dimensioned drawing, with ordinate dimensions, I can not pick up a hole center. I know the hole axis is not normal to the paper, hence it is an ellipse. Any hints for dimensioning?
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I don't know. ~Larry "Billduck" wrote in message news:15088808.1075689484713.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I have created holes and extrusions on workplanes tangent to the outside of a 55 gal drum. When it comes time to make a dimensioned drawing, with ordinate dimensions, I can not pick up a hole center. I know the hole axis is not normal to the paper, hence it is an ellipse. Any hints for dimensioning?
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Are you sure the model is actually square with the plane? ~Larry "Billduck" wrote in message news:15088808.1075689484713.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I have created holes and extrusions on workplanes tangent to the outside of a 55 gal drum. When it comes time to make a dimensioned drawing, with ordinate dimensions, I can not pick up a hole center. I know the hole axis is not normal to the paper, hence it is an ellipse. Any hints for dimensioning?
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

The model holes are cut through the skin directly toward the C/L of the barrel. However, in some cases the workplane is rotated say 15 degrees from the XZ workplane.So when I create the views in an IDW I am seeing radial holes, the axis of which are not normal to the view created. All of this is as would be expected. But adding a dimension to that hole from the bottom of the barrel doesn't work. I say this because I know the spacing of 2 holes along the axis of the barrel is 6" in the model, but does not dimension at 6" in the IDW. I think I am going about it incorrectly. Thanks
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Hmm ... be easier to try a diagnosis if the model and idw could be zipped and posted to iCF, I bet. If you don't get it, might give that a bit'a consider'n. ~Larry "Billduck" wrote in message news:9857380.1075696230197.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > The model holes are cut through the skin directly toward the C/L of the barrel. However, in some cases the workplane is rotated say 15 degrees from the XZ workplane.So when I create the views in an IDW I am seeing radial holes, the axis of which are not normal to the view created. All of this is as would be expected. But adding a dimension to that hole from the bottom of the barrel doesn't work. I say this because I know the spacing of 2 holes along the axis of the barrel is 6" in the model, but does not dimension at 6" in the IDW. I think I am going about it incorrectly. Thanks
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

Project the hole to a sketch and then you can dimension in your view. Or simply add a centreline bisector and then the dimension to that (care must be taken here as the dimension will be to end of centre line and not the position of axis on face) The only way that is practical to dimension this type of hole is normal or perpendicular to the axis of hole. This would be the same as when you constructed the hole in the model and will be the same as the method when the hole is machined. Make sure you check that the model is not twisted about its origins by making some measurements in the model to verify this. You can also show model dimensions in the drawing but only if they are normal to the view. -- Laurence, Power is nothing without Control --- "Billduck" wrote in message news:15088808.1075689484713.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I have created holes and extrusions on workplanes tangent to the outside of a 55 gal drum. When it comes time to make a dimensioned drawing, with ordinate dimensions, I can not pick up a hole center. I know the hole axis is not normal to the paper, hence it is an ellipse. Any hints for dimensioning?
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

I think I see what you're getting at. Many shortcomings in the drawing module haven't been addressed due, I would guess, to insufficient wining. I would use a section to dim in that instance, but they haven't fixed the section command so it can actually do sections correctly either. Maybe they figure eyeball is close enough or they think most people "won't use that" and they're working on a Inventor ProSec version. ~Larry "Billduck" wrote in message news:9857380.1075696230197.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > The model holes are cut through the skin directly toward the C/L of the barrel. However, in some cases the workplane is rotated say 15 degrees from the XZ workplane.So when I create the views in an IDW I am seeing radial holes, the axis of which are not normal to the view created. All of this is as would be expected. But adding a dimension to that hole from the bottom of the barrel doesn't work. I say this because I know the spacing of 2 holes along the axis of the barrel is 6" in the model, but does not dimension at 6" in the IDW. I think I am going about it incorrectly. Thanks
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Larry If you were using Ordinate dims its unlikely that you would be dimensioning to a feature not normal to the plane in that set. You would more than likely make a separate view aligned to the feature and dimension only that feature in that to a datum, what do you think? I guess that he is trying to dimension the feature which is not normal to the view plane by his own admission, and this is where the discrepancy lies? Like I said in my previous post you need to dimension exactly as it was constructed? Unless the feature has been constructed and aligned to some normal axis / planes, having said that this method would be almost impossible to accurately set up for machining? All just theory and superstition without seeing the goods as you said earlier. -- Laurence, Power is nothing without Control --- "Larry Caldwell" wrote in message news:401e1980_2@newsprd01... > I think I see what you're getting at. Many shortcomings in the drawing > module haven't been addressed due, I would guess, to insufficient wining. I > would use a section to dim in that instance, but they haven't fixed the > section command so it can actually do sections correctly either. Maybe they > figure eyeball is close enough or they think most people "won't use that" > and they're working on a Inventor ProSec version. > ~Larry > > "Billduck" wrote in message > news:9857380.1075696230197.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > The model holes are cut through the skin directly toward the C/L of the > barrel. However, in some cases the workplane is rotated say 15 degrees from > the XZ workplane.So when I create the views in an IDW I am seeing radial > holes, the axis of which are not normal to the view created. All of this is > as would be expected. But adding a dimension to that hole from the bottom of > the barrel doesn't work. I say this because I know the spacing of 2 holes > along the axis of the barrel is 6" in the model, but does not dimension at > 6" in the IDW. I think I am going about it incorrectly. Thanks > > >
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Yep ... it's all about conveying design intent, I'd say. Deciding how best to accomplish that depends on the one gets to say. I use sections for stuff like that sometimes because the section does what you suggest: brings the holes to the same plane without the extra view and because I'm the one gets to say ... well ... less the client says differently. ~Larry "Laurence Yeandle" wrote in message news:401e2503_2@newsprd01... > Larry If you were using Ordinate dims its unlikely that you would be > dimensioning to a feature not normal to the plane in that set. > You would more than likely make a separate view aligned to the feature and > dimension only that feature in that to a datum, what do you think? > I guess that he is trying to dimension the feature which is not normal to > the view plane by his own admission, and this is where the discrepancy lies? > Like I said in my previous post you need to dimension exactly as it was > constructed? > Unless the feature has been constructed and aligned to some normal axis / > planes, having said that this method would be almost impossible to > accurately set up for machining? > > All just theory and superstition without seeing the goods as you said > earlier. > > -- > Laurence, > > Power is nothing without Control > --- > [SNIP]
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Yep ... it's all about conveying design intent, I'd say. Deciding how best to accomplish that depends on the one gets to say. I use sections for stuff like that sometimes because the section does what you suggest: brings the holes to the same plane without the extra view and because I'm the one gets to say ... well ... less the client says differently. ~Larry "Laurence Yeandle" wrote in message news:401e0712$1_2@newsprd01... > Project the hole to a sketch and then you can dimension in your view. > Or simply add a centreline bisector and then the dimension to that (care > must be taken here as the dimension will be to end of centre line and not > the position of axis on face) > The only way that is practical to dimension this type of hole is normal or > perpendicular to the axis of hole. > This would be the same as when you constructed the hole in the model and > will be the same as the method when the hole is machined. > Make sure you check that the model is not twisted about its origins by > making some measurements in the model to verify this. > You can also show model dimensions in the drawing but only if they are > normal to the view. > > -- > Laurence, > > Power is nothing without Control > --- > > > "Billduck" wrote in message > news:15088808.1075689484713.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > I have created holes and extrusions on workplanes tangent to the outside > of a 55 gal drum. When it comes time to make a dimensioned drawing, with > ordinate dimensions, I can not pick up a hole center. I know the hole axis > is not normal to the paper, hence it is an ellipse. Any hints for > dimensioning? > >
Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

Your recommendation to put a centerline bisector was the trick. I had trouble finding it because the wall thickness of the barrel was so small. Bit it worked, and allowed me to dimention to the feature C/L.
Thanks, Bill S

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report