Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensions Displaying Incorrectly

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
brad
1037 Views, 13 Replies

Dimensions Displaying Incorrectly

I've tried finding a solution to my problem here on the board without success. Hopefully someone here has an idea...

I have an assembly drawing that I'm demsioning, but some of my dimesions are displaying incorrectly. Instead of displaying as if I was I was dimensioning from face to face when I choose 2 lines, it's dimensioning from edge to edge.

I've checked my parts, constraints and views, and everything seems to be square.

Any ideas?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
chrisjuk12
in reply to: brad

Hi Brad,

The dimensions ou are getting are isometric view dimensions. it seems like the application is getting comfused.

What software version are you using?

Have you tried deleting the view and recreating it?

Have you downloaded the latrest servie packs and updates?

Have you tried a different template file? .idw?

Is your model completely updated?

Regards,

Chris

Message 3 of 14
brad
in reply to: chrisjuk12

Chris,

I have tried all of the above with no luck.

I am on Inventor 2015 SP1 with all updates.

I have tried dimensioning the drawing in my own DWG template, standard DWG template and standard IDW template.

The model does not need updating (update button is greyed out), but I did rebuild it.

One strange thing I've noticed is that depending on where I select some lines, they dimension correctly.

As for now, the problem still exists.

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Message 4 of 14
brad

Solved!!!

This Post explains what is happening. Somehow, my General Dimension Type (found by right-clicking each view in the drawing) began defaulting to "True" on sheet 24 of a 24 sheet DWG. No idea how or why! It is set to "Projected" on the first 23 sheets, but now, every new sheet I create defaults to "True".

Any ideas how to switch the default back to "Projected"?

Message 5 of 14
chrisjuk12

Hi Brad,

This could be a profile issue.

Can you log on with another users credentials and try to repeat the problem?

Sometimes associated files can become corrupted (a 1 where a 0 should be, hotfix cuases etc) and cause these types of anomalies. It is a relatively easy fix but you will have to try different log in details to verify if this is the problem.

Regards,

Chris

Message 6 of 14
brad

Chris, good recommendation. Now that I think about it, this issue manifested after Inventor crashed while working on this file.

However, a different login does not help. Same issue.

I am reading that Inventor should default to the proper General Dimension Type depending on view type. For example, ortho views should default to Projected, and iso view should default to True.

On this particular assembly, that is not the case. Each part defaults correctly, but the assembly does not.

Could there be a problem with the IAM?

Message 7 of 14
chrisjuk12

Hi Brad,

From your last post I would strongly suggest that yes, your assembly file is what is causing the issue.

I have a batch script that will reset your Autodesk profile information which resets all your Autodesk applications to default like the day it was installed but I do not think that it is system files if changing user did not resolve the problem.

Try editing the assembly slightly (add/remove a part, change a constraints etc) and then resave and start a new drawing file with the newly saved assembly. If there is an issue with it this should solve the issue. If this does not resolve the problem then you may have to recreate the assembly.

Regards,

Chris

Message 8 of 14
brad

Unfortunately, changing the assembly does not correct the issue.

On the plus side, this is the last sheet of my drawing package, and now that I know to switch the General Dimension Type to Projected, I can at least finish my project.

I'm going to leave this issue open, and maybe someone can give an explanation as to why this assembly is defaulting incorrectly.

Kudos to you, though, for all your recommendations! Hopefully, there's a logical explanation that will help us better understand what's happening.

Message 9 of 14
mcgyvr

Are you having the same problem with newly created parts/assemblies? or is it just specific to this.

Have you checked to make sure your assembly is square to the origin planes?

Have you tried to place a new view and use the "change view orientation" button along with the look at face to ensure your views are square to the assembly?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 10 of 14
chrisjuk12

Thanks Brad,

are you able to pack and go the assembly and post it? This will give me a better chance of diagnosing the issue.

I have attached the script to reset the Autodesk profile which will reset all the styles, options etc if you wanted to try that instead. You will have to change the .txt to .bat for the script to run.

The script effectively removes all the options data and saves it outside of the folder the application reads it from. Depending on your software version you will have to remove 'rem' from the beginning of the script. It is currently set for 2015 software.

Regards,

Chris

Message 11 of 14
brad
in reply to: mcgyvr

Success!!

I had not considered constraining the assembly to the origin planes. This is first time I've had this problem. I did so, and the drawing defaults properly. Thank you, mcgyvr.

Here's what I did:

• Constrain the assembly to all (3) origin planes.
  • Reset the model view by using "Page Up" on the keyboard, selecting a face and right-clicking the viewcube to "set Current View as" front.
  • Created a new ortho view in my drawing, and voila! The new view's "General Dimension Type" defaults to "Projected", as it should.

Is it best practice to constrain all parts and assemblies to the origin planes?

Message 12 of 14
brad

Chris,

Apparently, being self-taught has it's drawbacks. Smiley LOL

Message 13 of 14
chrisjuk12

Hi Brad,

To be honest I never though about the assembly not being grounded as this is usually the first thing I do when I create assemblies. Go to show, the easiest solution is usually the right one 🙂

Just so you know for next time if you right click the mouse instead of left click when placing your first item there is an option to "Place grounded at origin" which will snap that part to the origin planes and ground it so it is fixed there.

Regards,

Chris

Message 14 of 14
chrisjuk12

Regards,

Chris Smith

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report