Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dimensions- change descimals to fractions

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
jr-brown
3016 Views, 7 Replies

dimensions- change descimals to fractions

I need to show fractions on my drawings rather than descimals. 

I have gone into the style manager and have units in inches

I have linear format in diagonal fractions

I have precision at 1/16

I have also made several other changes to centerline color and hidden lines color etc.

I choose save

I choose done

On the drawing, the color changes are made but the dimension still reads in descimals.

How do I get fractions to be applied to the dims on the drawing?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
SBix26
in reply to: jr-brown

What version of Inventor?  Do you know anything about the Styles Library?  If you have an active Styles Library, its styles "win" over the ones in the document.

Message 3 of 8
Rich.O.3d
in reply to: SBix26

he said he used the style library!

It sounds to me like its setup correctly in the dimension style, but...

Maybe you dont have your dim style with the fractions set as the default

...in style editor...click on your standard from the tree...on the right go to available styles...make sure your style is available...go to object defaults (next tab)...find the dim type you are dealing with (i was guessing 'linear dimension'), set the default object style to use (your dim style).

or to change on the fly

in your drawing, click on the dimension your talking about...use the pull down from the format panel of the annotate tab to pick the dims style.

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 4 of 8
Paul-Mason
in reply to: Rich.O.3d

I've had this problem in IV 2012 where changing the Dim style setting is a current drawing and saving them, via the style manager on the ribbon, the changes only effected the default measurement any of my custom dim styles were unchanged.

To get round this I not create a new BLANK DRAWING and continue as normal. Once the changes are saved from a blank idw all the changes are correctly saved be they to my custom styles or the default style. The just close the blank drwaing with out saving it.

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 5 of 8
SBix26
in reply to: Rich.O.3d

@richos69 wrote:

??

I went back and re-read the original post, and I don't see any reference to a Style Library...

Message 6 of 8
Rich.O.3d
in reply to: SBix26

@sbixler wrote:

@richos69 wrote:

??

I went back and re-read the original post, and I don't see any reference to a Style Library...

how about where he says....

"I have gone into the style manager"

its obvious he wasnt talking about 'Autodesk Inventor style library manager 2012' (from the tools tab on the start menu) as that only allows you to add or remove certain styles from the library.

If he can set the units to inches ,style to linear fractionals and rounding to 1/16" then there is only one place where he can be....Style Library

language barriers and inexperienced posters mean that sometimes, we have to read between the line

CAD Management 101:
Message 7 of 8

Hi richos69, 

You can make changes in the Styles Editor without using a styles library. Those edits would be contained only localy in the document.  So I think the question sbixler asked is not only valid but necessary to trouble shoot the issue the OP is having getting this sorted.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 8 of 8

even if they were only local changes and not saved back to the style library, they should still perform as expected....your point is not relavant to the question at hand...

he is not asking how to save local changes to the library, he is asking why the changes he makes are not showing...if he checks the things i mentioned, he will work it out...not rocket science boys

CAD Management 101:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report