Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensioning of Partial Arcs

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
LiliaE
758 Views, 5 Replies

Dimensioning of Partial Arcs

1. Here's my dimensioning of arc lengths. And this kind of dimensions we need much in the technical documentation for our company. And it is enormously difficult to do it in Inventor or maybe we do not know the right way to do it. If you have any solution, we'd love to hear from you soon worktop recess. If not, then I think that such a large concern as Autodesk should take this task here. The procedures not mean we should spend as much time as: draw extra sketch on the view and projecting holes, draw dummy arcs on the sketch and then dimensioning one at a time. It is simply too primitive for such a super program.   
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
robmatthews
in reply to: LiliaE

What version of Inventor are you using? I have only 2010 here, so it might be easier in later versions, but i have a fairly simple work-around.

In your idw, create a view-sketch. Project the feature edges (holes, in this case?) that you want to dimension, as well as the centre-point of the pattern.

In the Sketch, create an arc representing every arc-length that you want to dimension. New arc for every dimension you want. Constrain appropriately. Exit sketch.

Dimension the sketched arcs, and with a right-click, change to Arc-Length option.

THEN go back into the sketch, and change all the sketched arcs to Sketch-Only. Exit the sketch, and the arcs are now invisible, but the dimensions stay.

I hope this helps.

ArcLength.png

SketchOnly.png

=============================================
This is my signature, not part of my post.
Message 3 of 6
LiliaE
in reply to: robmatthews

If you have read my message through properly, you will discover, that you have described the same way I do it. So thanks a lot, but that is precisely, as we do it now, there is one more way through a “Get Model Sketches”, but her are more difficult to dimensioning on the idw. And this both ways are to primitive and takes to match time.

Lilia Ellgaard

Message 4 of 6
okaleja

In Inventor 2015 there is a new dimension type available - Arc Length Foreshortened. It is not exactly the same as you are looking for, but just in case you are interested you can check the attached video which demonstrates this type.

Workflow:

1. Select 2 linear edges which define arc angle

2. Using RMB menu change Dimension Type from Angular to Arc Length Foreshortened

3. Select point on arc

4. Place dimension

Oto Kaleja

Autodesk

Oto Kaleja
Software Engineer
Message 5 of 6
LiliaE
in reply to: okaleja

Thanks a lot.
I'll try, if we can use it after we have updated to Inventor 2016. We run with Inventor 2014 currently. We updates our system every second year.

Kind regards.

Lilia Ellgaard

Message 6 of 6
robmatthews

I'm sorry, you are right. I did not fully read your post.  Fear not; I will in the future attempt to not read your posts at all.

=============================================
This is my signature, not part of my post.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report