Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensioning holes from datums

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
tombuff
932 Views, 8 Replies

Dimensioning holes from datums

Using the Hole commad, I want to locate/reference off datums, this is something I can do in Pro-E.  It's not a choice, that I can find, or am I missing something????

Thanks, Tom

8 REPLIES 8
Message 3 of 9
tombuff
in reply to: tombuff

I see what your doing but I mean the feature located off a datum plane, looks like this is off the physical part itself.

Message 4 of 9
mrattray

Can you provide an image or a better explanation of what you're trying to do?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 9
JDMather

Start a sketch and Project Geometry the origin planes.

I think the easiest way to place holes in Inventor is with sketch points.

I think this is what the OP is after.

In Creo (Pro/E if you select a face to place a hole you get these two grips that you can drag to snap to planes.

In this image I have attached one of them and a dimension appears to enter offset), in the process of dragging the second...

I find it far far easier to use sketch points and normally dimension to the origin rather  than cluttering screen by projecting planes.

Creo Holes.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 9
tombuff
in reply to: JDMather

I'm away from my from my Inventor Computer, but I'll snip a picture of what I mean tonight.  I'm an Inventor newbie and think Pro-E, it may be a mater of projecting the datums to have them to dimension from.  I'm just used to (in Pro-E) being able to dimension a feature using a datum plane as the "from reference" either a primamry or working planes.

Message 7 of 9
mrattray

By "datum planes" are you referring to the origin geometry? In that case I think your safest bet would be to use a sketch, per JD's suggestion. The origin point should project into the sketch automatically, making it quick and easy to constrain your hole points to the origin.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 8 of 9
swalton

Datum Features in ProE are Workfeatures in IV.

IV does not allow you to drag a dimension to a workfeature the way the ProE allows you to drag one to a datum plane.

If you want to constrain a hole to a work feature, you must first create a sketch and then project the workfeature onto the sketch.  Next, place a point on the sketch and dimension from the projected geometry to the point.  Finish the sketch and start the hole feature.  The hole feature will pick up the point in the sketch to locate the hole.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 9 of 9
mrattray
in reply to: swalton

@swalton wrote:

Datum Features in ProE are Workfeatures in IV.

That was my point of confusion, thanks. When I hear "datum" all I can think of is GD&T.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report