Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension to Theoretical Intersection

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
AceRimmer
8304 Views, 29 Replies

Dimension to Theoretical Intersection

I read countless posts on this subject and I had a MarterGraphics tech try it over VNC and he could not make it work. So what makes the picks work? The right click resets the dim so you can't really pick the intersection. At random you can get two lines to work but the intersection between an arc and a line seems not possible. This is a bona fide  bug. Right? I have read posts that go back 5 or more years. Will they ever fix it? If they did fix it. What version does it work. I have 2011 and it don't work. Can I revert back to a version before they broke it?

29 REPLIES 29
Message 21 of 30

Message 22 of 30

Great illustration-- can you add that as a comment with my IdeaStation post?

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Inventor Professional 2015 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Message 23 of 30
IgorMir
in reply to: SBix26

Thanks, Sam.

I couldn't see line "B" as an arc. I have taken it as a straight line...

Cheers,

Igor.

@sbixler wrote:

Igor, I think Julian's problem is the same as the original poster-- he's trying to dimension to the apparent intersection of a line and an arc (the element in his image designated 'B' is an arc with a long radius).

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Inventor Professional 2015 Update 2
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 24 of 30
acad-caveman
in reply to: IgorMir

I really hate to sound like a broken record, but perhaps it would be beneficial to all of us

if the developers take a look at AutoCAD, and just plain vanilla make all SNAP options available there

also available in Inventor.

That's it.

Here is another link to Ideastation with similar wishlist:  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Inventor-Sketch-Improve-Point-Snaps/idc-p/4443893...

Message 25 of 30

cbenner's answer worked perfectly for me--unless you are not looking for the intersection of two lines that fall tangent to a curve?  It only worked when I selected two lines tangent to one curve, and then two more lines tangent to the other curve.  In Solidworks I would dimension to the theoretical intersection by placing a point at each intersection point, then selecting the point and the two lines it should intersect and setting an intersection constraint.  Do that twice, then dimension between the two points.  Inventor seems to be doing this all-in-one.  Not exactly intuitive, but for once I am rather pleased with Inventor.

Message 26 of 30
SBix26
in reply to: isabel.gruenhagen

The dimension to virtual intersection works well as long as the intersecting elements are both lines.  What this thread is discussing, though, is the need for that functionality to extend to arcs.  And this allows me an opening to solicit votes for this IdeaStation post -- please jump over there and cast a vote for this.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2016 R3 SP1 Update 1
Vault Basic 2016 SP1
Autodesk_Inventor_Certified_Professional_Badge.png

Message 27 of 30
JimmyDoe
in reply to: cbenner

I thought this wasn't an option. Thank you and a kudo!

Message 28 of 30
gsmithF2E6C
in reply to: Steve_Bahr

Firstly, you should not have to do this.  Especially when it substitutes for a feature supposed to be available in the software.  (Interestingly AutoDesk's example is a series of static screen shots.  I guess they could not get it to work either.)

Secondly, I have models with a myriad of workpoints which are required to build complex geometry and which I do not want to be shown on drawings. 

Message 29 of 30
gsmithF2E6C
in reply to: gsmithF2E6C

I just had another attempt to do this and it all worked. There seems to be a crucial step which is not emphasised anywhere I have seen.

For the first point, select the first edge or axis, then MOVE THE CURSOR AWAY from the selection point.  Right click and select "intersection" then select the second edge.

Now for the second point, select the first edge or axis, then MOVE THE CURSOR AWAY from the selection point.  Right click and select "intersection" then select the second edge.

The step in capitals seems to be crucial - looks like voodoo science but it seems to work.  I have only tried it for straight edges thus far.

Message 30 of 30
bobludwig1960
in reply to: cbenner

Your info has been helpful on more then one occasion, thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report