Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension to an intersection

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
karthur1
423 Views, 4 Replies

Dimension to an intersection

When I place a centerline (or include a workplane from the ipt) is there ANY way to dimension to the intersection of this centerline and the edge of an object?

2012-09-05_1028.png

Like in this image above, I would like a horizontal dim between the vertical centerline and the intersection of the centerline and the edge of the part.

I know that I can create a sketch on the view and project geometry/draw geometry... but that is such a pita.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mrattray
in reply to: karthur1

It would be nice if arcs and circles were selectable with the standard intersection tool (which needs some serious rework anyways). As far as I know, the sketch method is your only solution.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 5
cwhetten

You said you have a work plane, right?  How about splitting the cylindrical face with the work plane?  It leaves an unsightly scar on your cylinder, but it works:

thing2.PNG

thing1.PNG

I guess you could also create a work point in the part at just the spot you need.

Message 4 of 5
karthur1
in reply to: cwhetten

That would prolly work for a part (and my example shows a part),  but I am actually working with an assembly (weldment).

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Put a work point on the model, then include it in the drawing view, you will be able to dimension from it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report