Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dimension override how do i do it?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
andrew.nao
640 Views, 5 Replies

dimension override how do i do it?

custom dimension in the picture attached, you will notice i have 29 3/4 in" i want it to default to use just " not "in" example: 29 3/4" not 29 3/4 in" there is way to customize the dimensions to be display how i want (29 3/4") i just dont remember it can someone provide a little help with this thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
blair
in reply to: andrew.nao

I would look at your Format for Dims within the Style Manager. If you select the Dim, and use the Edit and override the dimension, should something change in your solid model this dimension will not be updated. This is not a good modeling practice over-ridding Dims and should be discouraged at all costs. 

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 6
jtylerbc

Edit your dimension style, either by going through the Styles Editor or by right-clicking one of the dimensions and picking "Edit Dimension Style."  Post back with the following information:

1. On the Units tab, what settings do you have for "Units Linear" and "Linear Format"?
  2. Also on the Units tab, is "Unit String" checked or unchecked?
  3. On the Text tab, is there anything in the "Suffix" box?

Also, just for some clarification, the issue you are describing is not what most people would call a "dimension override."  Usually the term "dimension override" is referring to faking the dimension by entering a number instead of using the model value.  As Blair indicated, this is generally a bad idea, but I don't think it is what you are actually trying to do anyway.

Message 4 of 6
andrew.nao
in reply to: jtylerbc

units linear say in
linear format 1/2 fraction not stacked
unit string... checked
text tab, suffix box has " (quote)

you are correct in that im not trying to change the number, im trying to change how its displayed
Message 5 of 6
jtylerbc

Just uncheck the Unit String box, and you should get what you want.  That setting is what is adding the in to your dimension values.

Inventor's settings use the abbreviation in for fractional inches.  To get what you are wanting, you turn off the unit string Inventor wants to use, and add yours (the quote mark) as a suffix.  It looks like you remembered to do the suffix portion, but forgot to shut off the built-in unit string.

Message 6 of 6
andrew.nao
in reply to: jtylerbc

thank you that did the trick

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report