Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension model sketches in a drawing

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
eric.gauthier
331 Views, 2 Replies

Dimension model sketches in a drawing

Hello,

Is it possible to dimension model sketches (sketches from an IPT) directly on a drawing?

I have a HSS beam (IPT) where I draw sketches on 1 face which is exactly what I want to do with it in real (draw sketches on 1 face) to make a calibration beam with it. The beam is long so I used Breaks onto Base View to shorten it on my drawing. I then used "Get Model Sketches" to make them visible on my drawing. I then added 4 "Detail Views" to enlarge my 4 sketches (I add to use again "Get Model Sketches" on each Detail View to make them visible). Now I want to domensions these sketches on each Detail View for the production team to mark the beam for real. How can I do that easily?

Thank you,

PS: I tried to do as indicated in this link but it doesn't work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wwcoxjQEhY

Eric G.
Inventor Pro 2014 Build 246 Release 2014 SP2 Update 6
Windows 7 Pro SP1
Dell Precision T7600, Intel Xeon CPU E5-2643 0 @ 3.30 GHz 4 cores
32 Go RAM, NVIDIA Quadro 5000, driver 9.18.13.745
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Looks like it's just not working with "Break View" and/or "Detail View"!

I can have a workaround using "Crop View"...

Any comment from Autodesk?

Eric G.
Inventor Pro 2014 Build 246 Release 2014 SP2 Update 6
Windows 7 Pro SP1
Dell Precision T7600, Intel Xeon CPU E5-2643 0 @ 3.30 GHz 4 cores
32 Go RAM, NVIDIA Quadro 5000, driver 9.18.13.745
Message 3 of 3
mcgyvr
in reply to: eric.gauthier

Seems to be a software "limitation"..

You cannot dimension sketched features in a detailed view created from a view with a "break"..

learned something new today.. but.. I hate it when the things I learn are just more "limitations" or "bugs".. 

A workaround is to just add the sketch at the idw level and not in the part.. Or just duplicate it again in the IDW if you must have it in the part for some reason and then don't "get model sketches".. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report