Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension lines won't attach

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
drguitarum2005
3453 Views, 12 Replies

Dimension lines won't attach

Afternoon yall,

I came upon a weird problem today. I have made thousands of sheet metal parts and their associated drawings without issue but this time, I made a part and attempted to make a drawing but dimension lines won't attach to certain geometry in the drawing. It acts like it will until I click the second line for the dimension then it errors, telling me the same error message that comes up when you delete a feature that previously had a dimension.

I also can't place an origin for doing a hole chart, for example. It just turns purple and says it isn't attached even though it clearly is.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Edited to add .ipt file too.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
scottmoyse
in reply to: drguitarum2005

Using your dataset in a full up to date version of Inventor 2014, it works just fine on my PC. It doesn't sound like it would be the issue, since as your post reads, you have successfully selected the first line. But have you checked your selection filters are set to Feature Priority?

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 3 of 13
drguitarum2005
in reply to: scottmoyse

I tried all the various priority options and nothing changes. I am also running a fully updated 2014 and still can't dimension this drawing. I deleted the drawing and make a new one and still have a problem. I restarted Inventor, my computer, etc. and no luck. Why would it tell me my dimension lines can't be attached if it allows me to click the line to start the dimension as normal? Thanks for your help,

Message 4 of 13
chad38

Have you tried opening up a different drawing? Is it possible that one of your keyboard keys are stuck? For instance, one of the ctrl keys?

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 5 of 13
drguitarum2005
in reply to: chad38

It's only this drawing that's affected. It's like there's something it can't resolve in the geometry of the model but it's not a complicated piece really you know?
Message 6 of 13
chad38

Try right clicking on one of the views, then go to general dimension type. Is 'projected' selected or is 'true'?

HP Z420 Workstation
12.0 GB RAM
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 7 of 13
drguitarum2005

It is set to "Projected". To be sure I set it to "True" then back to "Projected", no change
Message 8 of 13
chad38

Is it only the flat pattern view on sheet 2 that this is a problem on? Because there are like 3 spots on that view where I can't get it to select a point for me, but I can snap it to a line no problem.

Maybe when in dimension command, right click and uncheck all the snap settings, then go back and recheck them? Because when I did this it started letting me select those points it wouldn't let me pick.

HP Z420 Workstation
12.0 GB RAM
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 9 of 13
drguitarum2005

Yes it is only the flat pattern view for some reason. I unchecked all the snaps and re-checked them and still no dice
Message 10 of 13
andrewiv

It's because your faces actually touch (see attatched pic).  Just make it so there is a gap inbetween them and the problem goes away.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 11 of 13
drguitarum2005
in reply to: andrewiv

Thank you! I actually thought about that but figured that wasn't it since I was having trouble with lines that had nothing to do with that area but sure enough, that fixed it. It's weird because when I make things touch like that using other methods, Inventor cries about it and I scale it back by .01 inches or so. This time it let me so I didn't even think twice about it.

Thanks again!
Message 12 of 13
scottmoyse
in reply to: andrewiv

nice find. good work!

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 13 of 13
andrewiv
in reply to: scottmoyse

It's nice to be appreciated.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report