Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension lines in drawing attach, but give error immediately.

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
Anonymous
2483 Views, 28 Replies

Dimension lines in drawing attach, but give error immediately.

Hi,

I'm dimensioning some 'sheet metal' parts in an IDW drawing and a few dimensions attach to geometry fine, but when I select the placement position, it pops up with the following error:

"Create Linear Dimension: problems encountered while executing this command.
     One or more of the definition points are no longer attached to the geometry.  Drag the dimension definition points to reattach the dimension."

Dragging the point that is no longer attached to any geometry doesn't work at all for angular dimensions (which is where I first saw the problem). Re-doing the dimensions entirely (for linear dimensions) and selecting a line and a point (sometimes in certain order) versus selecting two lines will allow the dimension to stay attached. I've attached a part file for someone else to check and see if it occurs for them as well.

Can anyone telle me why this is occuring and how to fix it?

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
mrattray
in reply to: Anonymous

I've never seen this before, but I do get the same problem with your part as you are reporting.
It looks like Inventor doesn't like Cut 1. I suppressed it in the part and that seems to have solved the issue. I would see if you can alter those bends using a more appropriate method (like playing with the options under Bend and Corner).
If you can't get the bends you need without that cut, it seems that if you suppress the cut, then dimension, and then unsuppress the cut there won't be any issues.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: mrattray

Thanks Mike, the suppress/dimension/unsupress for CUT1 works.

I'm using the Cut Normal option for these cuts so that when the shop fits the plates up there won't be that little bulge on the corner of the bend that someone will have to grind down in order to fit properly. Since everything is larger than we can get in a plate size and/or fit in the press brake, I have to split the parts up at the corner and cannot use the Corner Seam tool between multiple parts... unless I haven't found that feature yet.

Would be really nice to get a fix for this in an update.

Message 4 of 29
Anonymous

I removed the "solved" for your post Mike, since I ran into another problem for the stair stringers where the unsupress feature doesn't have the same effect as it did on the tread plate. Whatever the Cut Normal option does, attaching dimensions to that cut geometry simply doesn't work in a drawing. See the attached pictures and part file.

Is there someone from Autodesk that can suggest a fix?

Can anyone else suggest a workaround that won't take more time than using the Cut Normal option but gets the same results?

Message 5 of 29
Anonymous

Bump for system bug fix?

Message 6 of 29
blair

I've escalated it to a Support Issue. Don't hold your breath until next week with all the holidays.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: blair

Thank you.
Message 8 of 29
Anonymous

Still waiting patiently for anyone from Autodesk to chime in on this.
Message 9 of 29
okaleja

Hello Eddie,

Could you please post the whole dataset including drawing with the culprit dimension? When I open the attached part I get the unresolved referenced file (Laser & X-Ray Sorter Platform - Line 1 - Reference.ipt).

Thanks,

Oto

Oto Kaleja
Software Engineer
Message 10 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: okaleja

Thanks for responding. I've attached the additional files you've requested. This continues to happen only when I use the 'Cut Normal' feature option on sheet metal parts. Has anyone else reported this?

Message 11 of 29
okaleja

Thanks for posting the complete dataset. I have sent this issue to our development team to take a look (case #50762). I haven't seen similar reports yet.

Oto

Oto Kaleja
Software Engineer
Message 12 of 29
Anonymous

Thanks Oto.

Can you recreate this on your end by starting a new sheet metal part and drawing?

Message 13 of 29
okaleja

I have asked our QA engineer to recreate this issue from scratch. However, he was not able to do so, therefore it looks like a dataset specific.

Oto 

Oto Kaleja
Software Engineer
Message 14 of 29
Anonymous

I just recreated the error using the default templates and a more simplified drawing. Please see the attached.

I would love to hear from someone else that this happens to as well. I hope it's not just on my computer.

Message 15 of 29
Anonymous

Hi Oto. It's been a couple of weeks, just checking in to see if there are any updates.

Message 16 of 29
Anonymous

Just thought I'd bump this thread again. Anyone experiencing the same problem? Can anyone else reporduce this error?

Message 17 of 29
alexmende

I was able to recreate the issue. I have attached the files. (Inventor 2015)

Also, the face immediately to the right of the selected line is not selectable for measurement. I don't know if this is related to the unattached dimension issue, but possibly.Face Not selectable.JPG

Where does this issue stand?

Thank you.

Alex

Message 18 of 29
okaleja
in reply to: alexmende

Hello Alex,

Thanks for the dataset! I have added it to the internal case #50762 so development can take a look. Expectation is that the issue should be fixed in a service pack for Inventor 2016, but that may change.

Oto Kaleja

Autodesk

Oto Kaleja
Software Engineer
Message 19 of 29
Anonymous

Hi Oto,

I just have to say... 6 months after the start of this thread (3 months since you first assisted) and the best we can hope for is "should be fixed in a service pack for Inventor 2016"?

Is there no chance for a bugfix for 2015?

Message 20 of 29
johnsonshiue
in reply to: alexmende

Hi! This particular issue (edge not selectable in the model) is a different issue than the cut-normal dimension issue. The part, TestSheetMetal.ipt, is not in a good state. Starting from Face6, if you turn on Edge display, you will see the Face feature has trouble merging with the side face. Bend13 and Bend14 just make the part unnecessarily complicated. Bend14 creates a non-manifold edge (an edge shared by more than two faces). Inventor is not good at handling geometry like this. We are still investigating a solution but the fix to the cut-normal dimension problem will not address this particular non-manifold case. Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report