Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension between two points

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Erika17
2962 Views, 5 Replies

Dimension between two points

Hi, I am having trouble setting the dimension between two specific points. I am able to choose the first, but not  the second point, and instead i have to choose the whole line, making the dimension have wrong values. Below I have attached my inventor file, as well as a pic of how I would like the dimensions to look. I am having trouble with th "120mm" dimension and I am not able to choose the corner in the top right. 

Thanks for any helpfull replies!

Greetings,

Erika

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rdyson
in reply to: Erika17

I'm guessing that this is what you're trying to accomplish. You're problem is probably caused by choosing a drafted surface for your sketch plane. You would be much better served to have modeled the part symetrically about the origin planes and used them for your sketch planes, whenever possible.

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 6
Erika17
in reply to: rdyson

Hi, I'm unfortunately not able to open the file that you have attached, so I cannot say if what you are suggesting is right or not. 

Erika

Message 4 of 6
Erika17
in reply to: rdyson

I recieve the following message when trying to open the file: Error in reading RSe stream. Can you please clarify for me what this means?

Thanks,

Erika

Message 5 of 6
JDMather

That error message is an indication that the file was saved in a later version (2015) than you have (2014).

You should always indicate in your problem description when you are not using the latest version.

Check the attached file.

Note: I suspect you don't really really intend for this sketch to be on an angled workplane.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 6
JDMather

Edit Sketch1 and notice in the lower right corner of the screen that it indicates you still need two dimensions because your sketch is "floating" in space.

Use the Projectec Origin Center Point (green dot in image) to anchor your sketch.

Simply drag that corner of the sketch to snap to the dot.

Anchor Sketch1.PNG

All of your sketches should say Fully Constrained in the lower right corner of the screen and you should see a "thumbtack" in the browser and your sketch should change to a "dark" color.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report