Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension Belt length in IDW

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Retselnitram
965 Views, 14 Replies

Dimension Belt length in IDW

Is there anyway I could dimension the length of a belt in IDW?

For conveyors I would like to dimension the length of the belt.

I can measure a loop in a part file but can't find away to do it in IDW.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
-niels-
in reply to: Retselnitram

Not sure how exactly you want to dimension your belt, but maybe you're looking for the "arc length" function?

Arc_length.png

(right-click after selecting the arc, but before placing it.)

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 15
Retselnitram
in reply to: -niels-

Thanks For the reply.

This only measures the length of the arce.

I was hoping for a single dimension for the length of the belt. Like measure length of loop.

Message 4 of 15
coreyparks

Take a look at the atached file sand see if this will work for you.  I dimensioned the length of all the arcs and lines on the belt pitch then added them together in a user parameter called belt length.  In the IDW create a leader an point to the belt then insert the user parameter called belt length.  This way it stays parametric and you could create a template already setup this way for your belts.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 5 of 15
Retselnitram
in reply to: coreyparks

Thanks

That might be what I have to do.

Hoping for a single click dimension but I guess not.

Message 6 of 15
Cadmanto

If you are looking for a one stop shop when it comes to dimensioning a belt, it does not exist.  Best option is what has been outlined above.

Feel free to submit an idea to add this to the software here.  Inventor IdeaStation

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 7 of 15
mdavis22569
in reply to: Cadmanto

For my belt conveyors ...when I need to measure, I save the IDW down to a Inventor dwg or Autocad dwg and click List for the properties of the belt ...and I get my length

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 8 of 15
mcgyvr
in reply to: mdavis22569

hmm.. I would have simply picked from an ipart in the assembly when placing the belt that has the length already defined and have a parts list showing a "200" x 12" wide belt" or whatever it is.

I wouldn't need to dimension the belt at all in the idw. 🙂 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 15
johnsonshiue

Hi! Is the belt itself a part? If yes, does it have uniform thickness (cross-section)? I am wondering if you could use a leader text referencing the value of volume divided by cross-section area. In theory, it should be the length of the belt, right?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 15
Retselnitram
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I thought this was a great idea until I tried to do it.

I can get the volume but I can't get it to Divid in the leader command. Then I tried in the parameters to set up a user parameter but can't get the volume there.

And being this conveyor usually has a 3 or 4 rollers this would have work reasonalbly well.

Message 11 of 15
coreyparks

This gives you the width of the belt not the length.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 12 of 15
Retselnitram
in reply to: coreyparks

I will give you the length.

The volume of a piece of belting 1/4" thick x 24" wide x 100" long has a volume of 600 cubic inches

volume / (thickness x width) = length

600 / (.250x24)= 600

Message 13 of 15
johnsonshiue

Hi! I am sorry to provide a solution without much detail. Actually it is doable via iLogic. What release of Inventor are you using? I can provide a simple example for you to follow.

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 14 of 15
Retselnitram

Inventor 2015

Would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Message 15 of 15
johnsonshiue

Hi! Attached is a simple example of the workflow I talked about earlier. The trick is to capture "volume" in an iLogic rule, triggered by any geometry change. Then create a user parameter to equate to "volume" divided by cross-section area. Next, create a drawing view of the part and a leader text pointing to the part with user parameter shown as value.

Let me know if you have any question.

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums