Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dim un-cooperative

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
rob d
313 Views, 8 Replies

Dim un-cooperative

Hello,
Any hints on how to get inventor to be a bit more intuitive, when dragging dims. I’m simply needing a vertical dim, in a sketch, to locate a notch, but inventor won’t allow me to drag vertically, only horizontally. I try to dim from the tip point of the notch to the center line of the part; simple dim; but I'll spend as much time fooling with one simple dim, as I did to do the entire drawing. Is there any way to suggest to it I need a vertical dim? Thanks for any help in advance.
Rob d.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: rob d

RMB > Vertical Dimension

--
Duncan
"Humour ... is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and proving by fabricated insanity that nothing could be
as mad as what passes for ordinary living."
(Terence 'Spike' Milligan K.B.E., 1918-2002)
www.autodesk.co.uk/inventorjobs
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375

wrote in message news:5866929@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hello,
Any hints on how to get inventor to be a bit more intuitive, when dragging dims. I'm simply needing a vertical dim, in a
sketch, to locate a notch, but inventor won't allow me to drag vertically, only horizontally. I try to dim from the tip point
of the notch to the center line of the part; simple dim; but I'll spend as much time fooling with one simple dim, as I did to
do the entire drawing. Is there any way to suggest to it I need a vertical dim? Thanks for any help in advance.
Rob d.
Message 3 of 9
rob d

Hello,
Thanks for the reply. If I right click, I get done (esc), linear dia., edit dimension, prev view, iso view, and how to. I already tried that, because I'm an mdt user. Am I not seeing something?
Thanks,
rob d.
Message 4 of 9
JDMather

Zip and post the file.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 9
rob d

Hello,
Yeh, I'm just trying for verticle dims, and (changing to the linear diameter dim) about the center line, for each notch, to constrain my notch sketch. I pick a point and it seems to insist on horizontal only.
Thanks,
rob d.
Message 6 of 9
JDMather

I'm not sure what you are trying to dimension - but I can put in any dimesion I want. One thing you might want to do is use lots of construction lines in Inventor to help tie down sketches.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Sometimes zooming in helps with placement.

wrote in message news:5866929@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hello,
Any hints on how to get inventor to be a bit more intuitive, when
dragging dims. I'm simply needing a vertical dim, in a sketch, to locate a
notch, but inventor won't allow me to drag vertically, only horizontally. I
try to dim from the tip point of the notch to the center line of the part;
simple dim; but I'll spend as much time fooling with one simple dim, as I
did to do the entire drawing. Is there any way to suggest to it I need a
vertical dim? Thanks for any help in advance.
Rob d.
Message 8 of 9
rob d

Hello;
It must of been just some kind of momentary clinch, because I was trying to do what you showed but only from the center point of the notch, because that's the way we'll dim it. It wouldn't allow a vertical dim by dragging, now in my same drawing, it alows a verticle dim just by dragging as I thought it should of all along. Nothings changed other than exiting the file and coming back in. I have noticed sometimes it resists dragging in a certain direction a bit.
I thought about putting construction lines from the points, of the notches, but wondered why that would of been necessary since the points of notches were already there.
So, it seems to have corrected itself. I guess if it get's in one of those moods, I could try putting construction geometry in there to help it along. Thanks again,
rob d.
Message 9 of 9
rob d

Hello;
I realized I did add one thing that changed it. When trying to dimension from the center of the object to the center of the notch, it would allow only a dim that was horizontal. I then created the center contruction line, and then revolved the notches, without trying the dimensions again. Now I realize when I created that center line, it allowed for a vertical dimension to it while not allowing me to dimension to the center of the part. I still don't know why it allowed horizontal but not vertical, but that did change it. Thanks,
rob d

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report