Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficulty converting STP/IGS to IPT

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
jeff.noel
3804 Views, 3 Replies

Difficulty converting STP/IGS to IPT

I have a file from a suppliers website that comes in either STP or IGES files.  I'm trying to convert it into an IPT to be useable in one of my models, but I don't seem to be having any luck with it.  I don't convert many STP/IGS files, and most of the time when I do they just work without many issues.

I can get the model to look proper in this one, its just that working with it makes Inventor run incredibly slow.  When I want to add an assembly to a drawing that is using this model, it takes several minutes just to place the view, removing the part and it works quickly again.  

The part can be downloaded here:

http://sealcocvp.com/home/dl/wabco/parts/4005001010.zip

I was wondering if anyone would be able to share some guidance on how to best get this file to a useable IPT file, as I can't have it grinding my computer to a halt every time I use the model.  Thanks for any help!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
rdyson
in reply to: jeff.noel

I was able to import the dwg and it seems to be usable. There are errors in some of the parts (nuts mostly) but they seem minor and probably not worth trying to fix.

I didn't add it to a higher assembly but it's iam responds to various commands well.

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: jeff.noel

@jeff.noel wrote:

I was wondering if anyone would be able to share some guidance on how to best get this file to a useable IPT file, ...

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2008/ML205-1P%20Mather.pdf

You didn't indicate what version of Inventor you are using.

I still use the Construction Environment rather than the new Repair Environment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
jeff.noel
in reply to: rdyson

D'oh, I never work with 3D DWG's, so when I saw the DWG I just assumed it was a 2D Drawing (must be Friday afternoon).  I've loaded it up and it works great, it is the way to go.  Thanks for your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report