Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficulties in Direct Manipulation Tutorial

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
wtchan
295 Views, 3 Replies

Difficulties in Direct Manipulation Tutorial

I am having trouble teaching students the Direct Manipulation tutorial, specifically the following sections:

• Create a New Sketch
  • Project Geometry onto the Sketch Plane
  • Draw the Sketch Geometry
  • Mirror the Sketch
  • Extrude the Two Sketch Profiles

In "Create a New Sketch", I have trouble getting students to trace the curve; while I do know how to do this, I could not have them recreate the same steps. The trace just could not be done, and Inventor instead creates partial circles or tangential lines.

Even if they have managed to get through this section, they are stalled at "Extrude the Two Sketch Profiles"; the loop of lines could not be selected, and no discernible breaks in the loop can be seen.

The only solution that I have devised thus far is to restart this tutorial chapter from scratch, e.g. restore the default Application options and returning to the "About this Tutorial" section.

It is costing my students and I a lot of time.

I would like a closer look at this particular chapter in the Inventor tutorials, and perhaps a revision with more troubleshooting notes.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: wtchan

@wtchan wrote:

Even if they have managed to get through this section, they are stalled at "Extrude the Two Sketch Profiles"; the loop of lines could not be selected, and no discernible breaks in the loop can be seen.

The only solution that I have devised thus far is to restart this tutorial chapter from scratch, e.g. restore the default Application options and returning to the "About this Tutorial" section.

It would be better to find out what is being done incorrectly.
Attach ipt file here that will not extrude the profile.

Let me make a couple of guesses (since you didn't supply this information).

1. You are using Inventor 2010.
2. Constraint Persistence has been turned off.

3. Constraint Options turned off.

Attach file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
wtchan
in reply to: wtchan

I am not using Inventor 2010.

But I have yet to come across those options that you mentioned. May I know how I can alter these?

Message 4 of 4
wtchan
in reply to: JDMather

Sorry, no file as of yet. I am having trouble recreating the problem; it does not happen all the time, but frequently enough to be a bother.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report