Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficulties changing curves colour of Model.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
dixie237
322 Views, 7 Replies

Difficulties changing curves colour of Model.

Hi all,

so Im on Inventor 2013.

I have a seat model I have imported from a customer. It comes across in a lovely gold colour. Nice but not what I want in my assy.

So the part was imported from a .stp file. Opens in Inventor in the ipt as a Composite 1 in the model structure. No individual ipt's.

So no matter what I change the colour to, the curves always stay gold colour. I would like them to be grey as per surfs.

So to change the colour. Firstly, with the Composite selected (lowest level in the structure) I have -

-cleared appearance overrides.

-using the Adjust pallet, input the RGB value for grey 128,128,128 and click OK

Now with the visual style set to Shaded with edges, I get the grey I want, but curves are gold colour still.

If I view further up the model structure to srf1 under Surface Bodies(1) and change these to 128,128,128, I still don't get changed curves.

Can anyone help please

As always, much appreciated in advance

Best

Dean

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dixie237
in reply to: dixie237

Morning all,

no colour change experts available? Smiley Happy

Cheers

Dean

Message 3 of 8
-niels-

So you have a single composite?
Have you tried copying it to the construction environment and removing the colors there?
Or maybe in the repair environment?
Did you try making a solid out of the model?

Are you allowed to share the model?
I think i know how to do it, but can't remember the steps.
It shouldn't be too hard...

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 4 of 8
dixie237
in reply to: -niels-

Hi Niels,

thanks for your reply. Firstly I am only 6 weeks into Inventor, coming from many years of Catia and some Alias.

Self taught through online vids and help from this forum. Always appr

Yes it comes in as a composite under "Surface bodies" - "Srf1" - "Composite1"

From your reply Niels I have a bit more of an understanding of "what I have" i.e. surfs imported. I searched how to copy into construction environment, but really came up with nothing. Although I did find a post that had the same probs. "How to remove the yellow tan lines.

Could you explain how to copy into construction env please. I guess this is where I could convert to a solid?

I saw the answer of just visualising as "shaded" in visual style. I do need to visualise the whole model in "Shaded with edges" though.

Unfortunately the model is subject to a NDA so no sharing!

Many thanks

Dean

Message 5 of 8
-niels-

You say it was imported from a .stp, did you set the import options to make a composite or as (multi-body) solid?
Also, did you check the options for healing/importing in the repair environment?

For importing in to the construction environment, right-click on your composite.
There should be an option in the menu.
Once you've selected that, there should appear a folder with the name "construction".
Double click on that folder to enter the actual construction environment.

I'll post screenshots if you want, just need to find a bit of time, they're keeping me busy atm...
(will also try to find a .stp to import so i can see if i can recreate the problem.)

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 6 of 8
-niels-

I made this video, showing several things like the import settings and where the "copy to construction" can be found.

Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.

But after uploading i realized, i have my application options set to make edges black.

I think this might be what you're experiencing, because when i set it to use the document settings i got edges that were the original yellow of the surfaces.

Edge_color.png

If this is what you are seeing, then i must say that i don't immediately know of a way to change the color of the actual surface edges.

(other than setting the model edges to "one color")

I think it would be best to try and make a proper solid out of your model, if at all possible.

That way you don't have to worry about surface edges.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 7 of 8
dixie237

Niels,

you are a star mate. Thanks for your time and the movie.

I did not import the stp the way you showed, just did an open. When I right click on the Composite I do not get the copy to construction option! Must again be due to the way I opened the file. I will use your route in future.

However In tools-document-settings-display apperance, setting model edges to one colour (and choosing the 128,128,128 grey as acustom colour) did the trick.

Cheers my friend and all the best

Dean

Message 8 of 8
-niels-

You're welcome.

Just to add, because in the video i used settings to get a composite:
For importing, set the option to "multiple solid part" and make sure "auto stitch" is checked.

One more thing you could give a shot is giving the "sculpt" command a go.
If your composite is correct and makes a closed space, it could turn your surface model into a solid.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report