Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

different views in same assembly

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
richard_cirillo
767 Views, 17 Replies

different views in same assembly

I have designed a manual valve.All the parts have been placed in an assembly showing the open position (liquid can pass through the valve).How would i make another option in the same assembly where i have the valve in the closed position (liquid cannot pass through the valve).I can from this 1 assembly select either open or closed position.It would only require the Handle,Handle Lever and Butterfly to change positions

Best Regards

Rich

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

under representations you have to create a new position view- in that view you have to supress any contraint that is stopping you from turning it to the position you want it to be in. in that view, the contraints become overridden. If you click back to the default view then the constraints are back on which puts the handle back to the position you constrained it at in the beggining.

when placing the drawing on a sheet you can choose between the 2 views

Message 3 of 18
salariua
in reply to: richard_cirillo

Stephenson is right, Level of detail or Design View Representations (or both) to control the display of different liquids (closed valve, opened valve). Positional representation to change the (hope you have) angular constrain for positioning the handle from 0 deg to 90 deg.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 4 of 18
richard_cirillo
in reply to: salariua

Would there be a basic tutorial or video available for a quick demonstration.Unfortunately i had angles on some but not all parts.I can change this though

Is there any difference between Level of detail or Design View Representations?

Rich

Message 5 of 18
salariua

You whould only need one angular constrain on the handle (or ball body) that you can drive to simulate movement as well.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 6 of 18
salariua

Post your part here, for the assembly you need to do a pack and go.

Level of detail suppresses parts from memory (stops from loading them) while Design View Representation handles the visibility of parts and appearances of parts.

This being a small assembly, I guess you only need to hide/show components (View Rep).

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 7 of 18
richard_cirillo

I have attached a INV2014 simple assembly.Currently the valve is in the closed position.I would like to learn how to implement a option of selecting between an open assembly and a closed assembly.Can it be done with this assembly sample?

Would you use Design View Representation for this assembly?

Also would an iassembly work here as well and are they difficult to set up?

Regards

Rich

Message 8 of 18
salariua

YES to all your questions but I have 2015. I have attached the new assembly but it seems you can't open it.

612.gif

I have an angular constraint between the valve and the flanges. Create a new positional representation, right click on the angular constraint select overwrite and type a different angle.

In the drawing you can select the positional representation that the valve should be, or you can do an overlay with multiple positions at same time.

I have created a parameter called Valve_Angle that I use to drive the angle from the form. Mark "KEY" next to the parameter and when you use Place Ilogic Componet it will ask you for the angle before placing.

612.gif

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 9 of 18
richard_cirillo

I tried to follow your instructions.

1. did you create a angle between the flange plane and the butterfly planes.What steps did you use the create this angle

2. i made a open/close representation

3. I have something wrong as i do not have the option of Override when RMB is selected

I have got something wrong here

Thanks

Message 10 of 18
salariua

It's all in the butterfly:1 part. Keep only the mate constraint between the axis of butterfly and 1 valve flange. Add another constraint between butterfly center point and valve flange:1 x axis. (could have used flange origin, but part was done symmetric).

Do an Angular constraint (last option, explicit reference vector) between Buttefly YZ Plane, Flange matting face and use Butterfly Y Axis as vector reference.

I have ungrounded your flange and constrained it to origin of assembly

Decided to so a screencast, much easyer. Hope it helps

https://screencast.autodesk.com/main/details/f0414214-4aca-463a-9f6f-54958b4d1be9

Edit:

What a load of... the main window keeps flipping up and the right click menu doesn't show up, like when I have changed angle for Open and Closed value of the Positional Representations.

This screencast recorder is not good.

Can't do any better, see what you can make out of that screencast and I will guide you where you fail. This is how to add the positional representation overwritte:

552.jpg

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 11 of 18
richard_cirillo

Hi Adrian

I am still not getting this part correct.I do not have the Override option

Thanks

Message 12 of 18
salariua

Create and activate a positional representation

Right click on a constraint and check the pop-up menu (you need to have activated a positional representation), look for "

tell me where you fail.

Do you have windows 7 ? In start / all programs/ accessories / there is a program called snipping tool. That can help you capture a screen shot of the assembly browser.

post it here.

Here are some links

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-11938F3F-5476-4465-BCDC-207167B5FCDE

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-9705B8C1-8F76-4C4B-BF82-2B9BDC6F8EF3

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-EB1593D3-E545-489F-9008-EE01F2AFD5C2

This is how it looks like

553.jpg

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 13 of 18
richard_cirillo

Hi Adrian

I have it now

I should of had this the first time you helped.I was not activating the correct area.Representation-Position

Thanks for your patience and help

Rich

Message 14 of 18
salariua

I am glad you soved it. It's far better exercise to learn to do it yourself. If I have time I will try and do the whole exercise in 2014 and send it over, so you can compare results.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 15 of 18
richard_cirillo

Thanks Adrian,

I added a couple of extra parts.Is it possible to have the light - Green ON when the valve is open (closed light will be either clear or RED).When the valve is closed the light - RED will be ON (open light will be either clear or GREEN)

Thanks

Rich

Message 16 of 18

Hi Adrian....did you get the chance to construct a 2014 version?

.........can the lights also change color according to position

Thanks

Rich

Message 17 of 18
salariua

I have reinstalled my system so not yet. will do though.

The color and visibility will stick with the Design View Representation. Create 2 view representations , green, red and in the assembly while in each view rep, select the handle (or whatever you need change color) and use appearance to set it to a new color.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 18 of 18
salariua

Hi Rich,

Finally had some time to look a this, after many days of installing windows updates. I have edited your files, you should be able to use the form to change position and angle. Unfortunately linking design view and positional representation is only possible via ilogic.

You can model the liquid comming trought and turn it's state (suppressed or not) and color with ilogic.

Take a look at this:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/...

The files are attached in 2014 format.

619.gif

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report