Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIFFERENT TOLERANCES FOR COUNTERBORE HOLE

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
thierry.osborne
1519 Views, 13 Replies

DIFFERENT TOLERANCES FOR COUNTERBORE HOLE

Hi,

I would like to have 2 different tolerances for a counterbore hole in one of my part. Here is my problem, the hole needs to be precise (.251 -0/+.001), but no the counterbore (dia 7/16 1/4 depth). I know I can manually enter the counterbore values in a normal dimension text box, but I don't want to do it since it won't be linked. I would like to use the hole and thread feature if possible. There's a picture of what I want (did in manually). any ideas ?

c'bore.png

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Ahatz
in reply to: thierry.osborne

This can be done:

You can add tolerances in the hole dialog box by selecting the arrow to the right of the size field, then you must edit the hole note in the drawing to dispaly the tolerances by selecting 'use part tolerance'......

Message 3 of 14
Ahatz

I made a quick screencast to show how....

http://screencast.com/t/GZmPxVthr56r

Message 4 of 14
thierry.osborne
in reply to: Ahatz

That actually does not solve my problem. I want the counterbore to be in fraction and the hole to be a 3 digits dimension. I know there is an "alternate" field in the "hole and thread feature", but I don't know how to activate it.

Message 5 of 14
Ahatz

You can't do that, the hole note uses the current dimstyle, and I don't believe you can mix format styles within a single dimension...plus I've never seen anybody do that (mix fration and decimal) on a machine drawing before, but I may be wrong......alt units is for showing in/mm, not different formats like fractions and decimals and such.....sorry

Message 6 of 14
thierry.osborne
in reply to: Ahatz

Well that is unfortunate then, and yes I bet you have not seen something like this since I work in a very specific field. Thank you anyway

Message 7 of 14
dan_inv09

Could you dimension just the hole part then do the counterbore as text? No, that won't work! You'd have to dimension the counterbore with a fractional dimension style and the hole as a parameter in text, but you can't make the tolerance like that. (How'd you do yours?)

In leader text you can use iProperties - just export the counterbore diameter as a fraction and we're all set.

BUT in the (RMB) hole note Text iProperties is greyed out!

You see they got hung up on the model AutoCAD for drafting - when Solidworks came out people were doing 3D parametric design in that and exporting to AutoCAD to hand off to a draftsman. That's why AutoCAD and Inventor were sold as a Suite. They never expected people would try and make a presentable or usable drawing from within Inventor. Sorry for ranting. They got their hands on something they called "standards" and anything that didn't fit - like mixing fractions and decimals, among many many other things - they didn't put in (or in cases where things are just greyed out, it looks like they had to take them out). Sorry, still ranting.

Someone who won't flip out like I do needs to post this to the IdeaStation - WHERE THE HECK IS THE SEARCH FOR IDEA STATION!?!?! Sorry, see, some (most) of the ways they do things just set me off and so someone else should put together the suggestion. Thanks.

Message 8 of 14
Mario428

I beleive it can be done, would require saving a different dimensioning style and using it when required.

The settings for hole and c'bore diamter are different and can be set to whatever you desire but it takes a bit of work with styles.

Having said that I do not have the time or energy to figure it out myself since I have no use for that style

Message 9 of 14
thierry.osborne
in reply to: Mario428

Where can I create a style to do such a thing ? 

Message 10 of 14
thierry.osborne
in reply to: dan_inv09

Mine is just a hole with a deviation tolerance, and I wrote the counterbore values with the text box, which is not what I want. Is there a way to remove an arrow (leader) and align a dimension with another one ? that way I could use hole and thread feature on the hole, remove the informations relative to the hole and let the counterbore infos, then remove its leader and align it with my hole dimension ?

Message 11 of 14
dan_inv09

I can't seem to find where you can set the hole to be decimal and the counterbore to be fractional. The only place I can see where you set fraction/decimal is the Units tab and that seems to control the entire dimension style.

Please, could you give us some direction as to where you've seen these different settings for hole and c'bore diameter?

Message 12 of 14
dan_inv09

You change the arrow head to "None" and make the leader White so it won't print and eyeball the alignment.

The problem with deleting leaders is that even with leader text (which is the only place you can do it) it forgets what it was pointing to. (Well, you can do it with Balloons but only if you've added extra ones - it's greyed out when you get to the last one.)

Message 13 of 14
Mario428
in reply to: dan_inv09

@dan_inv09 wrote:

I can't seem to find where you can set the hole to be decimal and the counterbore to be fractional. The only place I can see where you set fraction/decimal is the Units tab and that seems to control the entire dimension style.

Please, could you give us some direction as to where you've seen these different settings for hole and c'bore diameter?

Create a hole note, right click and you will see the style menu items come up.

I will warn you it is a real PITA dealing with this but I do beleive it can be done

Good luck it will be a learning curve

As a side note, practice this in a fake drawing, once you firgure it out you have to do it in your template file unless you know a way to import a style

Message 14 of 14
dan_inv09

holeRMB.png

We discussed using "Text" and put decimals in from the parameters but you can't get the deviations to stack right.

Where exactly do you see some way to have part of a hole note be fractions and the rest decimals?

You don't mean the Style and Standard Editor, do you?

The only thing I've found is under Thread Formatting on the Notes and Leaders Tab where you can set what stacking you want for the fractional thread designation. (If you think you've been 'round that learning curve I have a question for you: how can you get a decimal thread designation?)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report