Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different sized hoses in tube and pipe run

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
pball
4476 Views, 19 Replies

Different sized hoses in tube and pipe run

I'm putting flexible hoses in an assembly and need to use a few different sizes. So I create run1 and set the hose to be 1/2" hose. Then I create a run2 and change the hose size to 1/4" but it also changes the size of the hose in run1. Is this supposed to happen? How can I get two different sizes of hose?

I've just been going down to the sweep feature which makes the hose and adding dimensions to the ID and OD so  I can control the size. This is a pain and doesn't seem like what should need to be done. Is there a way to have different hose runs be different sized hose?

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
cbenner
in reply to: pball

Can you describe the work flow you are using to create these runs?  What kind of tube & pipe styles are you using? Maybe a screen shot of your styles?

You definitely should be able to have 2 different sizes in 2 different runs.  But not in two different routes within a single run.

Message 3 of 20
Cadmanto

I am using 2012 and I just did this.  I created (2) new flexible tube styles.  1/4 in. and 3/8 in OD.

I created my main route with different sub routes within the main route.  You have to make sure that

the style you need is selected prior to creating the sub-pipe run.

But what I have learned is I have to create the tube styles in each assembly I need them in.  I have not doen the

efforts to place these in the styles for permanancy yet.  I know it can be done, just haven't done this yet.

I agree with Chris that images would be useful.  Please see my image from my browser shoing the different runs.

PIPE.JPG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 20
blair
in reply to: Cadmanto

You can have a number of "tube styles/runs" within in main Run that  have different sizes and colors. You just need to select the correct "Style" when you create the "sub-run". You can also select the "Hose" item and edit it, at that point you can also change the run style.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 20
pball
in reply to: cbenner

I start by placing my fittings and hose ends and I use separate fittings since it work out better for me that way. Then I create the tube and pipe run. Then when a run is created I change to "hydraulic hose - no fittings" and open up the styles editor and change the size to what I need. Then I create a new route and populate it with a hose. Then I create a second run and go through the same steps but it changes the hose size from all other runs instead of just the current run.

Attached is a quick sample of how I model this stuff up. I used pack and go for this so hopefully it works out good. It's in Inventor 2013. Run1 started as 1/2" but got changed to 1/4" after I did Run 2.

I'm not trying to get a perfect model of a system here, all I need is a list of fittings and approximate hose sizes. This works out pretty good for doing that but having to force the hose size when I need multiple sizes just slows me down.

So yeah my zip is .05MB too large for here so you're stuck with a mediafire link.

http://www.mediafire.com/?91ewgzo5obn6c0p

Message 6 of 20
pball

Well I guess I know the answer now, different hose styles for every size and type.

So does anyone know how to make global styles? I see I can export/import but that would get to be a pain.

Message 7 of 20
blair

The Tube and Pipe module is the only portion of Inventor that is different. Search on your system for "piping runs.iam". Open this assembly and make your "style" changes to this assembly. After this, when ever you open the "Pipe and Tube" module you will have your correct "styles".

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 20
Cadmanto
in reply to: blair

Thanks for this tid bit, because I was looking for how to publish the pipe styles.  Like everything else I was thinking this was in the styles editor.  Do you know if this is a file that needs to get backed up and reinstalled or copied over when upgrades are installed?  Specifically when upgrading say from 2012 to 2013?  Do you know if this can be setup to be pathed on a network so the file gets updated once and everyone else in the department can see it or do I have to update it say on my machine and walk it around to everyone.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 9 of 20
Cadmanto

I found the file and I updated it with the styles I needed.

I then copied it back to the original default Inventor directory, closed out of my Inventor session, then restarted the session back up again.  When I started a pipe run the two I added were not there.  Is there some other setting that needs to be done or did I miss something?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 10 of 20
pball

Thanks for the info. I'm setting up all the common hoses I use now and I've hit a snag. The drop down list for hose diameter only goes up to 2" and I need to add a 2.5" hose? Is there a way to add more size options to the style editor?

Message 11 of 20
blair
in reply to: Cadmanto

I don't use Vault, as I work from my home office as well as work so I have everthing copied/syn'd to a USB drive along with my Styles and Inventor XML setting files. I include this IAM as well.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 20
blair

You would need to copy and edit the flexible tubing CC library to your own Read/Write library and make the edits there. Much easier than creating a library from scratch.

We use a lot of flexibly nylon air-line, so I have created a CC with all the color and sizes we use. The Autodesk Wiki-Help has a good section on doing this. There should also be a PDF in the Help directory of your Inventor install that covers this as well.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 13 of 20
bralick1221

This doesn't work.  When you go into the settings to change it for the new run.  It changes all the hoses.  This is a programming issue.  Autodesk needs a completely new program to run hose assemblies.  Its not user friendly.  it doesn't let you select multiple assemblies for hoses.  It puts it all under the same one. I can't use this program I am so fed up with it.  Either they reprogram the hose assy or I am switching. 

Message 14 of 20
blair
in reply to: bralick1221

It's this easy, changing from a 3/8" blue hose to a 1/4" hose with a different colour

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 15 of 20
bralick1221

I uploaded an MP4 video that I took with snag-it to show that it will not let me select the hoses with different sizes.  I have 4 different sizes of hoses I need for my assembly. a 1/2 in, 3/4 in, 3/8 in and a 1". as you can see from the video I go on to create 10 different hoses.  Then I select 6 of those hoses to edit for a different size and color. when I go to do that it changes all the hoses that were in that run.  When I finish and re-select the hose in environment, it continues onto the last run that I had created.  It will not give me an option to start a new hose assembly.  And when I change those it changes all the runs again. As you can see the programming sucks and needs to be re-done. I get it that you were not understanding what I need.  But in the real world its not realistic to have only 1 hose assy with only one size and color.  Not sure how else to explain it to get my point across. also I am an advanced cad user.  So I need to be able to do really complex things. 

Message 16 of 20
cbenner

@bralick1221  Your video was nicely done, but to demonstrate your problem probably could have been shorter.  Just something to consider.

You show in the video that you are changing the color through the tube & pipe style.  This will always change the color of all pipes, tubes or hoses created using this style.  If you want different colors, you either have to apply an override to the color assigned by the T&P style, or have multiple styles for the different colors.  This is the current workflow.  If you would like to see it changed, please add your suggestion to the Inventor Ideas forum.  Believe me, there is a push on to make improvements to tube & pipe... no one knows more than I.  The Inventor developers were running the other way when they saw me coming at AU this past month.  But getting angry in these forums, and threatening to change products isn't going to do it.  The Idea Stations are the best avenue.  Then come back in here, start a new thread and post a link to your suggestion, and ask for votes.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

Message 17 of 20
blair

If you wish to change the "Style" color/size, you need to expand the "Hose" run as shown in my video and select the "Route" inside as I have done. You can make multi-selections by holding down the "Ctl" key but you need to select the "Route".

Even though you have selected the "Hose". This is at the upper level that all the hoses reside in. Your individual selections don't make any difference at this level.

Yes, the T & P needs a major upgrade, it's pretty much  been this way since it's inception almost 8-10 years ago.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 18 of 20
bralick1221

Hello Blair,

Okay I don't have the same drop down as you do to change the hose thickness.  But what I ended up doing that seems to work is to go into the flexible hose and edit the 2D sweep instead and changed the dia that way.  This can work as a temp work around.  The colors I still won't be able to change differently but I don't need that feature at the moment would have just been nice to color coat the different sizes. 

Thanks again, please let me know when you find out about any upgrades on this?  I use hoses a lot for my current job. Also you have been the only one that has been able to help me fix my issues so far with Autodesk issues.  I have been looking for assistants for the last 6 months. 

Message 19 of 20
blair

Thanks, I don't expect much to change in at least the next release for IV0218. Maybe in IV2019 or later. I have attached at PDF for the T & P module for a class I taught last year at AU. It should help you through the flexible module portion.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 20 of 20
blair

I noticed in your video, that you were having to add the Yellow and Green styles while you were working on your model. You only need to do this once in your T & P Template file.

You would need to close all your open files in Inventor and then navigate to the folder that the Template file is located. Open it and add your Styles, then any time you create a new run, the Styles will be there for you to use. I have inserted a picture with the default location of the Template IAM file that Inventor uses. As you can see, I've "Copied & Renamed" the stock file to "2017". Make all your Style additions to this "piping runs.iam" file. Capture3.JPG

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report