Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Contributor
VIROrene
Message 1 of 5 (212 Views)

different BOM reference structure in same .IAM possible??

212 Views, 4 Replies
07-26-2012 11:28 PM

Let's say i want to draw a bike. In the 2D IDW of the wheel I want to see the frame as a reference. So, in the .iam of the wheel the frame subassembly is inserted and checked as reference. Also, a new level of detail is created that surpressed the frame.This level of detail is used in the overall assemby of the bike.

So, I end up with several subassembly's that contain other subassembly's just to reference them in the IDW. It would be better to have just one master assemby and create several IDW's from that assembly with different LOD and reference settings.

What is your approach?

Rene

Inventor 2012 - 64 bit - build190 - Windows 7
*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 2 of 5 (201 Views)

Re: different BOM reference structure in same .IAM possible??

07-27-2012 06:27 AM in reply to: VIROrene

Hi VIROrene,

I think what I would do is use a Postional Representation in combination with View Repersentations at the top level assembly. And place an overlay view in the drawing.

• Create the View Rep for the wheel with everything else suppressed (you can copy your existing LOD to a view rep by right clicking the LOD and choosing Copy to View Rep).
  • Create a Pos Rep called Wheel also (but don't create any constraint overrides as you normally would for a pos rep).
  • Create the LOD for the frame with everything else suppressed.
  • In the drawing, place a view of the wheel view rep.
  • Then use the Overlay View tool to place a view of the Frame view rep (using the posistional rep) on top of the wheel view, and choose the Layer option: As Overlay.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 3 of 5 (195 Views)

07-27-2012 07:26 AM in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

What's the point in referencing a bike frame in a drawing to make a wheel? The wheel should be able to be constructed without any knowledge of the frame. You are just making life harder for yourself.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

Contributor
VIROrene
Message 4 of 5 (175 Views)

07-30-2012 02:45 AM in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Thank you. This is a good trick; I am gonna try it. Not quite sure if the BOM structure goed right for each LOD and overall LOD. Will see...

Rene

Contributor
VIROrene
Message 5 of 5 (174 Views)

07-30-2012 02:48 AM in reply to: mcgyvr

mcgyvr wrote: You are just making life harder for yourself.

Haha, tell it to my customer please!

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.