Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

different assemblies referring to same parameters?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Storgaarden
514 Views, 5 Replies

different assemblies referring to same parameters?

Hi

I am currently looking into parametric design, with more than one assembly included.

Is it possible to have more assemblies/parts reffereing to the same sheet of parameters? So parameters only have to be changed one place in order to change an assembly containing sub-assemblies?

I know I am able to make the sub assemblies as one .ipt, by using the "create new solid" in for instance a new extrusion. But this will mess with my BOM, from what I have experienced. And also if some parts needs to be different materials, it can't be done with the "create new solid" function in one .ipt, can it?

I also know that it can be done by creating a master sketch and derive it into other parts. But I have to get this done without using the derive function, as that is in the job description.

Is this at all possible?

If further information is needed in order to answer my above questions, please ask as I need an answer to this.

/J. Storgaard.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You were good, kid, really good, but as long as I'm around
you'll always be second best, see."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2014
Win 7 Pro, 64 bit
Intel i5-2400 3.10 GHz
14 GB RAM
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: Storgaarden

Link to parameters in a single spreadsheet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
Storgaarden
in reply to: JDMather

so all I need to do is make sure that the dimensions in the different parts in the different assemblies have the same name, and then put that into the spreadsheet? Can inventor/spreadsheet handle this? Basically I guess all the single parts in the assemblies have to link to the same spreadsheet. Is there a limit to how many that can be linked to the same spreadsheet?

But I will give it a go, thank you very much.

Inventor 2014
Win 7 Pro, 64 bit
Intel i5-2400 3.10 GHz
14 GB RAM
Message 4 of 6
JDMather

You could create all of your named dimensions in an Excel spreadsheet before even creating the first part.

I am not aware of any limitations on the number of parameters or number of linked files.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 6
Storgaarden
in reply to: JDMather

From what I have experienced looking into this, if I figure out what file is the most "important" file, that contains the most important dimensions, I can use iLogic from that file instead of using a spreadsheet. I will just have to looking to if all of the critical dimensions are included in the backbone structure of what I am supposed to create.

Is it possible to make an autogenerator for .idw, that includes the critical dimensions listed in the main file or spreadsheet?

Thank you once again.
Inventor 2014
Win 7 Pro, 64 bit
Intel i5-2400 3.10 GHz
14 GB RAM
Message 6 of 6
PaulMunford

You might find this presentation useful.
Excel is a powerful tool for creating paramedic formulas. The downside is that inventor has to load excel and thou might get a performance hit.

ILogic might also do what you need.

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report