Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between .idw & .dwg

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
bkrant
6105 Views, 8 Replies

Difference between .idw & .dwg

I am not able to figure out the difference between .idw & .dwg templates in inventor.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: bkrant

DWG can be opened in AutoCAD.
IDW can't be opened in AutoCAD.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 9
mcgyvr

DWG will be larger in size than IDW.
Thats about it. Use IDW

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 9
dick_upton

We are moving to using DWG. With the new DWG Trueconnect technology and the free DWGTrueView, the individuals with AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT can open my Inventor drawings without me having to Save As . . . and vendors and such that do not even have AutoCAD can download the freee DWGTrueView and open DWG's from both Inventor and AutoCAD without having first to figure out which application made the file.

Sure saves a lot of time and keeps things a lot cleaner. When I make a change to my drawing I'm no longer locked in to having to remember to Save As a DWG for the rest of the organization..

In a mixed application environment, using IDW no longer makes no sense, IMHO.
Message 5 of 9
msklein

.DWG files are not true parametric files like the .IDW are. View creation is also not as nice. They can also just as easly download the free viewer for .IDW and they get to view the models also. Just my .02 cents .
msk
Message 6 of 9
dick_upton

At a risk of hijacking the thread from the OP, can you describe these differences more in depth? I'd like to understand. Thank you.
Message 7 of 9
djohnson1976

We've used .DWG since it was available and it has always been "true parametric files". Also, I don't know what you mean by "view creation is not as nice", since it is the same.
Message 8 of 9
bkrant

Thank you
I got my answer....:)
Message 9 of 9
dick_upton

Glad to have the chance to give back in return for all the help I've gotten here 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report