Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I need the construction line?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
rickduley
306 Views, 4 Replies

Did I need the construction line?

To locate the support pegs I found the I needed a construction line.

Is there a way to do without - to align the pegs with the z axis without having a construction (or other) line?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: rickduley

Sketches 3 and 4 are not fully constrained?

Setting up a machine tool - where is that peg?  (A feature requires a size dimension as well as position.  You are missing a definitive position dimension (or constraint)).

There is nothing wrong with using construction lines - I use lots of them, even when they aren't technically needed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
rickduley
in reply to: JDMather

Hi JD

Sketch 3

The triangle on the left is fully constrained (taking one of its dimensions and its location from Sketch 1).  The triangle on the right was mirrored about the construction line.  Why is it not also fully constrained?

Sketch 4

Sorry.  The construction line was supposed to be co-linear with the Z-axis.  That fully constrains it.

Point is, why did I need a construction line?  Should I not be able to place the circle centre on the Z-axis without a construction line.  I could not find a way.

Thanks

Message 4 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: rickduley

Turn on the sketch DOF symbols and that should answer your questions.

Sketch3 - try dragging your line of symmetry - you do not have a Vertical constraint on the line.  It can be twisted around the origin.

Sketch4 - construction lines aren't required.  You could simply add a Vertical constraint between the origin and the circle center point.

Think in terms of geometry constraints.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
rickduley
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks JD

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report