Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diameter symbol printing as 'Q'

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Gamera
1505 Views, 7 Replies

Diameter symbol printing as 'Q'

Hi, for a long while now we've been having trouble with all our IDW's, whenever we put a dimension or text with the diameter symbol it plots as 'Q'.

Even in print preview it still appears as the diameter symbol, although when actually printed, it comes out as 'Q'. To combat this in the meantime we have firstly been creating PDF's which display the correct diameter symbol and then printing.

i.e Ø30 on IDW prints as Q30
on paper.

We are using Autodesk inventor suite 2009.

Any help appreciated

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Gamera

Add this AIGDT.TTF font (attached) to your Windows Fonts
folder.

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified
Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified
Expert.
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr.
AIP 2008 SP2, AIP 2009-SP1
PcCillin AV
HP zv5000  AMD64 2GB - Geforce Go 440, Driver: .8185
XP
Pro SP3, Windows XP Silver Theme

href="http://teknigroup.com">http://teknigroup.com
Message 3 of 8
Gamera

Thanks for the quick reply Dennis, but it says that the font is already installed?
Message 4 of 8
dragonfire1

Hi,

I seem to remember having a similar problem a while ago - solved with a reinstall of the printer driver, even though the system was telling me that the correct, latest driver was installed. I persuaded the network guys to reinstall the network driver also, and that did the trick!
(If memory serves correctly, it was a Hewlett Packard printer, not sure if that is relevant, but possibly worth mentioning...)

Hope this helps,
Helen
Message 5 of 8
Gamera

Since we upgraded our server and PC's now running XP 64 bit everytime we log on it prompts us to find the correct printer drivers. So somethings definatly not right there although as far as we knew it wasn't affecting anything. Aparntly its going to be looked at in the near future, seems like it'd be the cause though. I'll post if/when the drivers are looked at and if it fixes it. Edited by: Gamera on Dec 2, 2008 4:59 PM
Message 6 of 8
dan_inv09

What happens if you type it? Your print driver may be overriding the AIGDT symbol with a Q but what if you use Ø? You could try a test with some text, maybe even try a couple of different fonts.

(The Character Map says Alt+0216 but there is also a three digit code that I forget that gets you the same thing.)

You could set up your styles to eliminate the automatic diameter symbol and make a new style for certain dimensions with a prefix/postfix and new hole notes. (I always preferred "DIA" anyway.)
Message 7 of 8
pburgeson
in reply to: dragonfire1

I had the same problem and installed the Post Script (PS) version of my printer drivers instead of PCL.  Everythign prints fine now.

Message 8 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: pburgeson

Thanks pburgeson for coming back and adding this info to an old post just incase someone else comes across it in the future.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report