Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Developing parametric spreadsheets to drive modelling

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
kenr
420 Views, 3 Replies

Developing parametric spreadsheets to drive modelling

HI

I have another question regarding Inventor and Excel in the area of developing spreadsheets to drive models.

We are a transport engineering firm in Queensland and I would like to develop a spreadsheet that can formulate cross member distances and recalculate to add or remove cross members.

The basis of this is the overall size of the body we are building.

For example: The maximum width of a body in Australia is 2.5metres overall. Our cross members would be 6 mm shorter than the overall width of the body to allow for 3mm end caps to cover the open ends of the cross members. So the length of the cross member is width minus 6, or , parametrically the length is (overall width - (endcap thickness x2))

The body length is the tricky one. We have a maximum spacing on the cross members. This will vary from size of body to size of body. EG the spacing on the small 2 tonne body will be different to the spacing on the 12 tonne body etc. So lets say we want to have maximum spacing of 450mm and a minimu spacing of 300mm between centrelines of the cross members. The overall length of the body will also determine the number of cross members required.

On top of this there is the front and rear coaming to take into consideration.

So the formula would be ((overall length - front coaming - rear coaming) divided by cross member spacing)) then a check to see if the last space is what and then can we change the cross member size to take up that space without going over the maximum space. We would also need to take into account the width of the crossmember section as well in this calculation.

EG if we have 150mm left at the end we could increase the crossmember centres slightly to take up this additional space without going over the maximum space allowable.

Any assistance would be appreciated. I am struggling with the IF(if(if(if))) statements to accomplish this.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
MingweiGao
in reply to: kenr

I think you should have/list the clear logic of your design firstly. Did you consider to use iLogic(an add-in in Inventor)? This may help you resolve the logical issue and drive the parameters.

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 3 of 4
kenr

HI MingweiGao

Thanks for your suggestion, but I chose to use Excel simply because, if any changes are needed I do not need to be there. I can simply send the updated spreadsheet to the office and walk someone though the process, and secondly, I have only looked briefly at iLogic and it scares the bejesus out of me.

Ken Russ

Russ Equipment Pty Ltd
192 Beatty Road Archerfield. Q. 4108
Phone: (07) 3275 2233 Fax: (07) 3875 1458
Email: ken_russ@russequipment.com.au
Web: www.russequipment.com.au
SUPPLIERS OF HIGH QUALITY TRANSPORT EQUIPMENT.

Important Message:

This correspondence is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential or legally privileged information or both. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this correspondence in error, please immediately delete it from your system and notify the sender. You must not disclose copy or rely on any part of this correspondence if you are not the intended recipient.

Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the opinions of Russ Equipment Pty Ltd.

Neither the sender nor Russ Equipment Pty Ltd warrants that any communication via the Internet is free of errors, viruses, interception or interference. Information is distributed without warranties of any kind.
Message 4 of 4
PaulMunford

You can do quite a bit of this using patterns. The trick is to handle one bit at a time and build it up.

Check out the Max/Min function too:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2012/Help/0073-Autodesk73/0733-Design_O733/Functions,_pref...

You can run this from a spread sheet - but Inventor will have to start up excel and load your spread sheet into memory everytime.

iLogic runs in process with Inventor - so it will be quicker. It's not so bad - jump on in!

If you want some help with the specifics, could you draw upa schamatic or something to help us visualise the patterns/equations?

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report