Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

detailed bill of materials

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
NachitoMax
314 Views, 3 Replies

detailed bill of materials

Hi,

when i use the BOM feature, i get a list but cannot get panel sizes as dimensions in a table. I can get a part ID and other not so important in for for a BOM but dimensions and sizes should be key....

Am i doing something wrong?

How can i get a detailed BOM to iclude panel sizes (like a cut list)

Thanks

Nigel

Nacho

Automation & Design Engineer

Inventor Programmer (C#, VB.Net / iLogic)

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jtylerbc
in reply to: NachitoMax

You will have to do some setup work, likely both in your parts and your parts list style, to get what you want.

Are you looking for seperate columns with the dimensions (ex. three columns:  Part Number, Width, Length), or dimension values embedded in a description (ex. "PANEL - LENGTH X WIDTH")?  The setup will be somewhat different depending on which you are trying to achieve, so I'll need to know that before directing you on how to set up your parts list.

In either case, the first thing you will want to do is go through all your parts and name the parameters for the dimensions you want to include in the parts list.  Be consistent with the names through all the parts involved.  Then, for those named dimensions, you will then need to mark them for export in the Parameters dialog box.

Marking the parameters for export will include them as a custom iProperty for the file, which will make their values accessible to the BOM / Parts List.

Message 3 of 4
NachitoMax
in reply to: jtylerbc

Hi

Yes I'm looking for 3 separate columns. Well, 4 actually

PartID, Width, Length, Thickness

If you could guide me a little,that would be awesome 🙂

Thanks

Nige

Nacho

Automation & Design Engineer

Inventor Programmer (C#, VB.Net / iLogic)

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 4 of 4
jtylerbc
in reply to: NachitoMax

Okay, so as I said in my previous post, the first thing you have to do is set up the parts so that they can send the desired data from the model to the drawing.

If you haven't already, go through each of your parts and name the parameters that define your Length, Width, and Thickness.  You can name the parameters in a few different ways, depending on the type of parameter and your personal preferences:

1. For sketch dimensions, you can right click and select Dimension Properties, then change the Name field.
  2. For sketch dimensions or feature parameters (such as an extrude distance), you can type the desired name in the entry box in front of the value, with an equal sign.  For example, to rename a 0.5 inch parameter to "Thickness,", type "Thickness = " in front of the value.
  3. For any type of parameter, you can rename them from the Parameters dialog box (Manage tab).  You can name all of your parameters from here - however, since this box lists all parameters in your part, it can be confusing to figure out which one in the list is the one you're actually looking for.

Name your parameters consistently through all the parts - for example, don't name your thickness "Thickness" in some, and abbreviate it "THK" in others. 

Once you have them named, open up the Parameters dialog box (from the Manage tab).  There is a column near the right of the box, called "Export."  Check this box for each of the named parameters.  If needed, right-click on the Exported parameters in the list and choose "Custom Format" to set up units, fractions vs. decimal, and precision.

Next you'll set up your drawing's Parts List to use the data you have just created.  Place a Parts List for your assembly in the drawing.  Then edit the parts list, and click "Column Chooser."  This lets you pick what fields you want displayed in the parts list from a list of standard Inventor file properties.  Your dimensions will not be in the list, since they are custom values.  Instead, click "New Property", and for the name, type the name you gave the parameter in the parts.  This will add the property to the list, and you can then choose it and click the Add button to put it into your parts list.  Use the Remove button to get rid of any fields you don't want.

The parts list should then populate with your data from the model.  The most common mistake I see in this procedure is forgetting to check the Export box - if you get blank fields in the list for some of the parts, this is the first thing you should check.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report