Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Review meetings

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
KevinPinks7697
1116 Views, 18 Replies

Design Review meetings

We have to often present our designs at Design Review meetings and currently use the Design Review software for this purpose. We have noticed that the Design Review software rendering is a bit poor compared to the actual Inventor assembly file. Is there any other software we can use to show the design, other than Inventor, as we do not have Inventor in the meeting room?

Thanks in advance

Kev

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Infoseeker
in reply to: KevinPinks7697

Try 3D PDF.

Message 3 of 19
mrattray
in reply to: Infoseeker

Since when does Inventor do 3D PDF's?

If you just want pretty but dumb pictures ShowCase makes some really snazzy images.

For "spinnable" models there's this: http://freewheel.autodesk.com

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 19
dick_upton
in reply to: mrattray

Can you remote into your workstation from the conference room PC? Granted it would be considerable choppy, but then you could fully use Inventor.

Message 5 of 19
Ray_Feiler

For better graphics inside Design Review;

From the Home tab click on the down arrow next to View

Designreview1.png

Then click on the drop down on the lower right (Published Lights) and select Headlamp

You can also click on the down arrow next to Shaded and select Shaded with Edges

Designreview2.png

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 6 of 19
KevinPinks7697
in reply to: Ray_Feiler

Great, thank you

Message 7 of 19
Infoseeker

He asked for other software that can show a model in a similar way Inventor shows assemblies.

3d PDF does it.

Message 8 of 19
mrattray

3D PDF is awesome, I used it all the time when I ran SolidWorks. However, as far as I know, there is no way to export from Inventor to 3D PDF. If there is a way I'm all ears, because I'd love to be able to use it.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 9 of 19
ampster402

http://www.quadrispace.com/products/share3d/

not free but there's a free trial period.

Message 10 of 19
Infoseeker
Message 11 of 19
mrattray

200-300+ USD doesn't count in my book, I don't need it that bad. What I meant is there's no direct translation abilities inherent to IV, like there is in SW.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 12 of 19
Infoseeker

There is a way. Its not for free though. ;).

Message 13 of 19
cmcconnell

And IIRC, they are usually 1 year behind with their Inventor add-in...

Mechanix Design Solutions inc.
Message 14 of 19
Ahatz

Why not just use Inventor View, I'm pretty sure you can install it anywhere for free. You have it installed it's part of the installation of Inventor or download it here

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?id=10535296&siteID=123112

Message 15 of 19
mbystry

For 3D PDFs I highly recommend SimLab Composer/3D PDF. It's a stand-alone application that can import Inventor parts and assemblies along with a slew of other 3D model types. I use it quite often for non-CAD people. The only draw back is that you have to use Adobe Reader as opposed to some other PDF viewer. I also use SimLab as a bridge to get my Inventor models into Blender (a free and open-source 3D app).

http://www.simlab-soft.com/

Message 16 of 19
KevinPinks7697
in reply to: Ahatz

Is there a way to hide parts in Inventor View?

Thx

Kev

Message 17 of 19
Ahatz

no, unfortunately ...View, Print...that's about it Smiley Sad

Message 18 of 19
Rich.O.3d
in reply to: Ahatz

hmmm

No one has mentioned Navisworks

We do all of our design reviews in Navisworks.

The boardroom PC only has Freedom on it, so the project/area/dicipline lead creates an nwd prior to the meeting.

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 19 of 19
karthur1

Yes, 3D PDF would be awesome.  I have been struggling all week trying to get a 3D drawing to a customer.  Autodesks solution is to use DWFx.  Unfortunately, this is a government agency and they cant install any software on their machines (I run into that ALL the time).  That pretty much screws me on getting a 3D file to them.  AD says that they can open the dwfx from their browser, but it fails.  I cant even get it to work on some of our office machines.

I'm pretty sure Publisher has 3D PDF capabilities so I know Autodesk can do it.  Wish they would get off this dwfx ride and get with the real world.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report