Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Doctor Bug?-Reports false bad constraints

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
gcross
446 Views, 5 Replies

Design Doctor Bug?-Reports false bad constraints

I've got an assembly that Design Dr. says has 5 problem contraints but they cannot be found. I exploded all children in browser & looked at every constraint-no sign of bad constraint.

Also, I cannot Edit,Delete Suppress or Isolate & Edit any of the 5 supposedly bad contraints in Design Dr.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Gary

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
IgorMir
in reply to: gcross

Hi Gary,

What's happen when you click "Next" in the DB? Another way to find the offending constrain is to switch from Assembly View to Modeling View. That will putt all the constraints into one folder.

Regards,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 3 of 6
gcross
in reply to: IgorMir

Igor,

Yes, I did switch to model view to see if I could find the problem constraints - no luck.

Keep in mind that clicking on each constraint in Design Doctor & trying to highlight edit delete or isolate did nothing at all. So it's as if there are not bad contraints except for fact I get the Design Doctor dialog everytime I try to change any constraint.

Gary

Message 4 of 6
IgorMir

Well, I am out of suggestions then...

Best of luck,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 5 of 6
bobvdd
in reply to: IgorMir

Gary,

Could you send me the dataset? Bob.van.der.donck@autodesk.com

Thanks.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 6 of 6
gcross

Bob,

Thought I would post your email solutions for the benefit of others....

Gary,

Great! If this happens again in the future , here is a less invasive method (without loss of imates) to correct it

1. Switch the view from Assembly View to Model View.

2. Expand Constraints folder -> Suppress all of the constraints.

3. Go to Design Doctor -> Next -> Delete. Repeat the step to the rest of the constraints.

4. Save.

Cheers

Bob

Sent: Friday, June 22, 2012 7:31 AM
To: Bob Van der Donck
Subject: Re: Data set for "Design Doctor Bug?-Reports false bad constraints" posted 6/4/2012

Bob,

I was able to fix the problem with my original data set thanks to your help.

I appreciate you sending your updated data set.

Also, I corrected the sketch issue too.

The Autodesk 360 worked great, too.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Gary

Hi Gary,

This is a defect. And I have no idea why Inventor is hanging on to these constraints, I have even less of an idea how it got introduced (I did see that you use posreps, maybe the posreps did something bad?!)

I logged it as defect 1465103 Sick constraints cannot be cured in this assembly

What you can do to fix this is to open ASSY.iam and select all components and then do a DEMOTE into a subassembly.

You will get a warning that you will lose imates etc but I think that is the least of your worries right now with this data set. Just accept.

Then activate the subassembly and select all the components in the sub-assembly and promote them back to the root level of your assembloy.

You can then delete the empty sub as we just used it as a means to clean-up the constraints.

After the demote-promote process, your assembly should be back to normal without any sick constraints after doing a rebuild all.

I posted a corrected 2012 dataset on Autodesk 360 if you want to look at the results that I obtained (you should have gotten an separate email).

Let me know if there are any side effects to above described workflow that I might have missed

Cheers.

Bob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report