Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Assistant

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
panzilte
842 Views, 3 Replies

Design Assistant

I have a few questions regarding the Design Assistant (the most usless powerful tool ever)
1. When searching for other external references for parts, drawings, assemblies why is the Design Assistant so incredibility slow?
2. Design Assistant can only be used to rename files that are in the current version of Inventor, for example if one is using R2009 one can only use the Design Assistant to rename files if they were created in or migrated to Inventor R2009. If one tries to use the Design Assistant to rename files created in a previous version of Inventor without migrating them then that is not possible. Why do files need to be migrated first? Why can't a migration utility be incorporated into the Design Assistant?
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: panzilte

See imbeded.....

I have a few questions regarding the Design Assistant (the most usless
powerful tool ever) 1. When searching for other external references for parts,
drawings, assemblies why is the Design Assistant so incredibility slow?

Design Assistant uses the Windows File Searching.
That's why it's so slow. Vault searches the vault database for the locations,
not the folders.

2. Design Assistant can only be used to rename files that are in the
current version of Inventor, for example if one is using R2009 one can only use
the Design Assistant to rename files if they were created in or migrated to
Inventor R2009. If one tries to use the Design Assistant to rename files created
in a previous version of Inventor without migrating them then that is not
possible. Why do files need to be migrated first?

That's the way it was designed.

Why can't a migration utility be incorporated into the Design
Assistant?

Design assistant is an obsolete (Legacy) approach.
Functions were redesigned for Vault. I doubt that you will see any enhancements
in DA.

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Autodesk
Manufacturing Implementation Certified Expert.
Instructor/Author/Sr. App
Engr. Tel. (260) 399-6615
AIP 2008 SP3, AIP 2009-SP1 PcCillin AV
xp64 sp2,
XP Pro SP3, Windows XP Silver Theme

href="http://teknigroup.com">http://teknigroup.com

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
I
have a few questions regarding the Design Assistant (the most usless powerful
tool ever) 1. When searching for other external references for parts,
drawings, assemblies why is the Design Assistant so incredibility slow? 2.
Design Assistant can only be used to rename files that are in the current
version of Inventor, for example if one is using R2009 one can only use the
Design Assistant to rename files if they were created in or migrated to
Inventor R2009. If one tries to use the Design Assistant to rename files
created in a previous version of Inventor without migrating them then that is
not possible. Why do files need to be migrated first? Why can't a migration
utility be incorporated into the Design Assistant?
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: panzilte

Hi

We don't use the vault for conceptual work/files - and these are the files which will inevitably need changing.

Is there any other way to rename parts / sub assy's within inventor without using DA (as I find it is totally unusable on large assemblies due to migration issues and the speed (or lack of) that it takes to load).

I have tried using the copy command within inventor and this seems to work ok, but was wondering if there is any tool which works in a similar way to CBliss's iassembly tools - I have used this for over a year and find it far better than any standard inventor tools/feature (as it allows you to select a part in the viewing area, rename and replace all instances, plus changing the iproperties at the same time - but unfortunately doesn't work on my new 64bit machine). If not is there any plans to incorporate something like this?

I expect your answers to be along the lines of, why don't you use the vault for conceptual work? Or migrate all your files, but there are reasons why we don't like doing either and would find it difficult to explain, so am really just trying to find a workaround.

Whie i'm here, i also used the kwiksert macro a lot as it has much better functunality than the standard insert constraint tool within inventor, but again it doesn't work with 64bit machines, any plans to incorporate a tool like this in future releases??

I am currently running inventor 2011 sp2a

Kind regards

Will

Message 4 of 4
WAYNE_HOUWD
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

DA is very powerful, efficient tool in Inventor design practice,

Such as

-Copy works without worrying about modifying root files;

-Rename filename to sort out the serial P/N clearly;

-Relocate the file into designated folder, and so on.

I love DA as one of my favorite portions from Inventor, it gives us another environment to work/think beyond the Inventor actual subassemblies. Migration issues is pointed not only to DA, but also customized library parts and all the modeling designs. Most of the common is to open the old version Inventor file and save to local drive-then it will solve the problem automatically. It is not a big deal. Or sometime solve the subassembly prior to the complexed assemblies.

As for the iProperties change, it is not advantage to use DA, even though DA can give us a whole picture as well. I prefer go to Bill of Material, list out and modify. It is very convenient there rather than in DA. Because after we change in DA, we have to refresh in model environment. Another fatal from DA is that we cannot change the parts material, not like in Bill of Material- we can change all the property items directly.

When conceptualizing design work, my experience is mostly working locally instead of going to Vault.  DA helps us generate some Dummy files with high efficiency before having an assembly. Another is we can pick up and copy parts/components from different projects and use DA to rename, copy and designate files' location. Using DA is a very efficient way to take advange of the design work you have generated previously.

Best Regards,

Wayne

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report