Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Assistant Speed Woes

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
187 Views, 14 Replies

Design Assistant Speed Woes

WHat the heck is up with Design Assistant being so slow? Forget that the UI is a DOG and its is so hard to use etcetc its still the best we have for some things, but the speed is just way below anything I have seen, ie: I have a 176k .IAM file sitting on our server it has 313 parts total, 189 Unique. Not a huge assm in anyones book. We have good quaility workstations all with Quadro cards in them. We work in a semi-iso enviroment with 3 INV workstations. We have a direct 1gig Network connection to a hub plugged directly into our own dedicated INV server. If I open the above mentioned assem in INV it takes 49 secs to get on screen and be ready to edit, which is acceptable and I can live with. Yet If I open the same file in the same network location with DA (which only manages links so I would have thought has a LOT less work to do than the full INV) it take 4.5 minites! Then everytime I make a change and do a save, it does a full refresh which agains takes longer than is acceptable in any office enviroment? Is there any tricks to speeding DA up or am I stuck with it being a slow dog forever? It just seems like with the amount of work it is doing compared to INV that it should open the file WAYYYY faster than the full INV does? Brian
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Brian All I can offer at this point is, "your not alone". We se similar behavior and it definitely appears to be network related. I haven't had the time to do any troubleshooting, but will soon. I'm also interested to see more input on this.... May save me some time! Mike K. "Brian Corbin" wrote in message news:407f2d28_1@newsprd01... > > > WHat the heck is up with Design Assistant being so slow? > > Forget that the UI is a DOG and its is so hard to use etcetc its still the > best we have for some things, but the speed is just way below anything I > have seen, ie: > > I have a 176k .IAM file sitting on our server > it has 313 parts total, 189 Unique. Not a huge assm in anyones book. > > We have good quaility workstations all with Quadro cards in them. We work in > a semi-iso enviroment with 3 INV workstations. We have a direct 1gig Network > connection to a hub plugged directly into our own dedicated INV server. > > If I open the above mentioned assem in INV it takes 49 secs to get on screen > and be ready to edit, which is acceptable and I can live with. Yet If I open > the same file in the same network location with DA (which only manages links > so I would have thought has a LOT less work to do than the full INV) it take > 4.5 minites! > Then everytime I make a change and do a save, it does a full refresh which > agains takes longer than is acceptable in any office enviroment? > > Is there any tricks to speeding DA up or am I stuck with it being a slow dog > forever? > > It just seems like with the amount of work it is doing compared to INV that > it should open the file WAYYYY faster than the full INV does? > > Brian > >
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

Brian: I'm not operating over a network and I find DA to be pretty slow. The best advise I've got, and no doubt you've cottoned on to it, is to work at the lowest practical assembly level, i.e. open a 20 part subassembly rather than a 500 part general assembly. Richard Brian Corbin wrote: > WHat the heck is up with Design Assistant being so slow? > > Forget that the UI is a DOG and its is so hard to use etcetc its still the > best we have for some things, but the speed is just way below anything I > have seen, ie: > > I have a 176k .IAM file sitting on our server > it has 313 parts total, 189 Unique. Not a huge assm in anyones book. > > We have good quaility workstations all with Quadro cards in them. We work in > a semi-iso enviroment with 3 INV workstations. We have a direct 1gig Network > connection to a hub plugged directly into our own dedicated INV server. > > If I open the above mentioned assem in INV it takes 49 secs to get on screen > and be ready to edit, which is acceptable and I can live with. Yet If I open > the same file in the same network location with DA (which only manages links > so I would have thought has a LOT less work to do than the full INV) it take > 4.5 minites! > Then everytime I make a change and do a save, it does a full refresh which > agains takes longer than is acceptable in any office enviroment? > > Is there any tricks to speeding DA up or am I stuck with it being a slow dog > forever? > > It just seems like with the amount of work it is doing compared to INV that > it should open the file WAYYYY faster than the full INV does? > > Brian > >
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

A drive in my computer acts as the engineering server and DA is real slow anyway. I think it's more than network related. -Mike
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

Anything related to R8 is slower then previous versions. Whether Norton Auto Detect is on or off makes no difference to the network speed of Inventor. That's not right. Matt
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

Let me correct myself. Anything network related is slow then pervious versions. Matt "Matt Hendey" wrote in message news:407fe0f3$1_1@newsprd01... > Anything related to R8 is slower then previous versions. Whether Norton Auto > Detect is on or off makes no difference to the network speed of Inventor. > That's not right. > > Matt > >
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

In your same boat. Very slow here also
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

We've seen this also. Some assemblies I've just had to give up on & copy manually then try to fix everything. That full refresh is a real drag. You're right - one would think just managing file properties would be nearly instant. -- Dave Hoder Product Design Engineer idX Seattle www.idxcorporation.com "Brian Corbin" wrote in message news:407f2d28_1@newsprd01... > > > WHat the heck is up with Design Assistant being so slow? > > Forget that the UI is a DOG and its is so hard to use etcetc its still the > best we have for some things, but the speed is just way below anything I > have seen, ie: > > I have a 176k .IAM file sitting on our server > it has 313 parts total, 189 Unique. Not a huge assm in anyones book. > > We have good quaility workstations all with Quadro cards in them. We work in > a semi-iso enviroment with 3 INV workstations. We have a direct 1gig Network > connection to a hub plugged directly into our own dedicated INV server. > > If I open the above mentioned assem in INV it takes 49 secs to get on screen > and be ready to edit, which is acceptable and I can live with. Yet If I open > the same file in the same network location with DA (which only manages links > so I would have thought has a LOT less work to do than the full INV) it take > 4.5 minites! > Then everytime I make a change and do a save, it does a full refresh which > agains takes longer than is acceptable in any office enviroment? > > Is there any tricks to speeding DA up or am I stuck with it being a slow dog > forever? > > It just seems like with the amount of work it is doing compared to INV that > it should open the file WAYYYY faster than the full INV does? > > Brian > >
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

Hello,

I have recently had an assembly, 300 parts or so, that Design Assistant would not open the main assembly. Tried on several computers on a large network. Finally did a Pack and Go of the assembly and used Design Assistant locally.
It opened up the main assembly just about as fast as it would be opened for a design session. Network is the cause of the slowness I belive. This is a risky work around I belive.

Thank you,

Andrew Grove
Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

If (in your theory) the cause is the network, then why would the same file open fast with IV over the same network? I'm not refuting your success, but leaving my mind open to think that DA is buggy and the network is a trigger and not the cause. Dave "ang_1224" wrote in message news:31639346.1082463704491.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Hello, > > I have recently had an assembly, 300 parts or so, that Design Assistant would not open the main assembly. Tried on several computers on a large network. Finally did a Pack and Go of the assembly and used Design Assistant locally. > It opened up the main assembly just about as fast as it would be opened for a design session. Network is the cause of the slowness I belive. This is a risky work around I belive. > > Thank you, > > Andrew Grove
Message 11 of 15
rllthomas

Are you using nested paths in your project file?
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

No nested paths, but is that a known slowdown? Like Dave said though it makes you wonder why full INV has no problems with speed opening the same file.... Sounds like many others are seeing the same thing, so maybe thats just the way DA is for now? Brian "rllthomas" wrote in message news:5540510.1082474507027.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Are you using nested paths in your project file?
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

There was a posting regarding this (the R6 NG I think) that shed some light for me. IV looks at the project file and the IAM files for referenced files when loading. DA on the other hand looks in all files for links to other files, has to do with the finding all related files (the lower window pane). Brian Corbin wrote: > No nested paths, but is that a known slowdown? Like Dave said though it > makes you wonder why full INV has no problems with speed opening the same > file.... > > Sounds like many others are seeing the same thing, so maybe thats just the > way DA is for now? > > Brian > > "rllthomas" wrote in message > news:5540510.1082474507027.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > >>Are you using nested paths in your project file? > > > -- Hal Gwin Mechanical Designer Xenogen W2K SP4 Dell Precision 650 Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon 1.5 GB DDR Quadro4 900 XGL nVidia 6.14.10.5214 w/registry update Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD
Message 14 of 15
rllthomas

I do my best to avoid DA but yeah nested paths can slow it down some. I haven't timed it in DA, but it certainly has an impact on loading assemblies in IV. I still do it anyway, the subfolder path concept doesn't fly well with me. Anytime you have to resolve after moving a file within your defined folder structure the system doesn't work IMO.

Just think of that hour glass time as billable hours 🙂
Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

To my knowledge DA does not check individual files for links unless you search for files linked to a specific file (Information shows up below). This search takes forever by the way. I may be wrong on this tho.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report