Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Assistant - Renaming Files

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
phoebus.biron
5523 Views, 16 Replies

Design Assistant - Renaming Files

I am using Design Assitant to rename files, but have had no luck with other referenced files.

I have followed the Procedures from AutoDesk WikiHelp.

Steps taken (summary)

1. Open Top Assembly.

2. In the top browser, I select the part and set Action -> Rename.

3. Rename File.

4. In the bottom browser, I select the file types for additional referenced files.

5. I select (highlight) all the files.

6. Click "SAVE"

When I go to open the files, to check if the changes have been made, obviously to rename works on the Top Assembly,

BUT for other additional refereced files, it doesn't.

I am doing this in a Single User Project.

Just wondering if there are other steps that need to be done to use Design Assistant properly. 

Thank you.

Phoebus

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: phoebus.biron

Can you post a screen shot of DA the way you have it setup to rename the files?

Message 3 of 17
phoebus.biron
in reply to: Anonymous

See "Screen Shot" of DA, attached.  Hope this is what you were asking for.  Thanks for the help.

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous

Actually what I was hoping to see was how you had the Action and Name columns setup when you do the rename.

Do you have a smaller assembly you can test with?

Message 5 of 17
phoebus.biron

Are you referring to the options that pop up when I right-click on the Action and Name columns?

See the attachment.

If not, please elaborate.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous

So after you have selected rename in the action, you will change the Name (this is the file name).

Then hit save, and that component will be renamed.

Is that what you are trying to do?

Message 7 of 17
phoebus.biron

Thats exactly what I am trying to do.  But I would also like the files to be reflected in all the referenced files.

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous

So you are renaming a subassembly, and you also want to rename the components referenced by the sub?

Message 9 of 17
phoebus.biron

I would like to rename a part.  The new part (and file name) as I understand it, if renamed in DA, should be reflected in the top assembly, which the part is in.  And with DA, it can also be reflected in the referenced drawings.

Message 10 of 17
Anonymous

So after you rename a part, then open the assembly drawing, the new part name is not showing up?

I guess I am not really understanding the problem, sorry.

Message 11 of 17
phoebus.biron

When I change the part name (.ipt) in DA, then open the assembly, it works fine.  DA is able to fix the link between the assembly and the update part name (.ipt)

The issue I am having, is how to...at the same time...have the other referenced files link to the new part name.

Scenario. 

I have A.ipt.

This is used in A.iam (assembly file), and A.idw (drawing file)

So...lets say I change the part number from A.ipt to B.ipt  (I dont care about the iProperties Part name, I am talking file name here with the proper extension.)

When I open A.iam (assembly file), the new part B.ipt is referenced.  The changes in DA have worked..but

when I open A.idw (drawing file)...the link is not there and I have to find that referenced part in the "Resolve Link" window.

Hope this helps.

Message 12 of 17
japike

In the lower pane of Design Assistant, in the action column, have you tried selecting "Update" for your drawing?

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous

11-2-2012 2-06-51 PM.png

Message 14 of 17
phoebus.biron

Ahh.  Now that I didn't try.  I will try and see if that works.  Thank you.

Message 15 of 17

Thank you guys.  That worked.  That is definitely a detailed step that should be added to the Wiki site.  If it was on there, I definitely missed it.  Thanks again.

Message 16 of 17

I know it has been a while, but how do I rename the drawing?  I have an assembly that I created a drawing for.  I now have to rename everything, parts, assemblies, drawings and frame generated parts.

When I rename everything and try to save it I get an error saying that the old file name already exists and I cannot save.  I think it is because I cannot  rename the top level file.  What is up with that?  Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

image.png

Message 17 of 17
ronald_plesh
in reply to: ronald_plesh

Never mind.  I was not changing the file name, just the iproperty.  Ugh.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report