Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Assistant "Where used"

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
mrack42
585 Views, 1 Reply

Design Assistant "Where used"

Maybe I am using this incorrectly, or maybe it doesn't do what I expect it to.

I open a part in Design Assistant, I select Tools - Find - Where Used.  I click on <Click To Add...> in the "Look in:" pane, select the folder I want to scan, and hit "Search Now".  Note, if I check "Include Subfolders", it seems to back up all the way to 😧 drive... not subfolders UNDER D:\Cone & Valve Fitting\PRS535 (which seems odd to me), and chokes on the search.  This is what I get.

Where used.png

So, it SAYS "Found 3 file(s)."... but there is nothing in the list.  If I hit "Save List", when I open the .txt file created, all it shows me is the path to the referenced SOURCE file.

What I'd expect to see is a list of assemblies that the part is included in.  Is there something I'm doing wrong?  Are my expectations incorrect?  Is there another way to search easily for what assemblies a part is used in?  Note: I do not use Vault.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
pcrawley
in reply to: mrack42

I think you are using it correctly - but may not have set your project before selecting the component?

Start by opening Design Assistant, then going File > Close (if you have some file(s) loaded.  Then set File > Projects to the required project.  Now the Tools > Find > Where Used should work as expected.

You make a point of saying you don't use Vault.  It's well worth investigating as it's much easier than the above - and it's included in Vault Basic so there's nothing extra to buy as you already have the software.

Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report